Arduino Due (SAM3X8E) vs Texas TMS320x280x

Hello everyone. This is my first post, but I've been reading this Arduino forum for a couple of years and it has been very useful to me.

I'm working on my final degree proyect and I need a powerful microcontroller. My teacher told me I had to choose the TMS320 DPS because it is so powerfull and so on. But I've never touched those before nor can't find examples on youtube nor google.
On the contrary, I've been programming Arduino (duelmilanove) for years and I know how to do lots of things even I built my own Arduino at home. Also Arduino has lots of documentation, including this helpful forum.
I want to use all my knowledge in Arduino programming and not to start over a new micro which I can't even find friendly.

tl;dr : The question is, Is Arduino Due as powerfull as Texas TMS? I need to implement a PID controller and work with real time alternate signals of 50 Hz (Electric Grid).

Thanks in advance for any advice and sorry for my pre-historic english.

To answer your question: no, it isn't.

The TMS320, depending on which one it is, could be far faster at the task you have outlined. However, that's not to say that the Due is too slow to implement a PID controller for grid connected hardware. Additionally, I think that you're right to think that you'd have a nicer time with the Arduino Due than with the TMS320. Certainly the Due would be less of a learning curve. But, you're working on a final degree project. You should probably do what your instructor says.

I don't know your situation but instructors often have a "I know better than you no matter what you say" mentality. I would take the SAM3X8E data sheet in to review with your instructor and has for his help in objectively reviewing it's performance limitations because if it will fit the bill your chances of success are substantially greater based on your existing experience. That will tell you everything you need to know about your instructor. That meeting will either last 30 seconds or 45 minutes to an hour. The 30 second version means you are in for lots of sleepless nights and an uphill battle. The 45 minute to an hour version means you actually have a decent instructor actually interested in helping you become successful on this project and after that meeting you will have a very good idea with presumed expert review of how well the Due will meet your need.

exedor:
I don't know your situation but instructors often have a "I know better than you no matter what you say" mentality

lol, I'm aware and afraid of that.

exedor:
if it will fit the bill your chances of success are substantially greater based on your existing experience.

That is true and that is what I want.

I think it's an excellent idea to review the datasheet of the SAM3X8E with my instructor. I know TMS is faster but for my needs the speed of the Due may be enough.
I don't want to learn Code Composer :frowning: I don't even have a TMS board and they are expensive.