Help with my first quadcopter

Hey,
I have not bought any parts yet, but I am making my own quadcopter. I have done the research and know all about the parts that I need, but many guides are sponsored and cost thousand(s) of euros/dollars while not explaining things entirely clearly.

Firstly, what exactly is "KK"? Many people talk about it but I really don't get what it's all about.
Secondly, I have found this flight control board Radio Control Planes, Drones, Cars, FPV, Quadcopters and more - Hobbyking . Would I need another microcontroller (such as the Arduino nano) for it to work? (IF ANYONE has experience with this board, let me know!).
Thirdly, would the above board work with this radio controller Radio Control Planes, Drones, Cars, FPV, Quadcopters and more - Hobbyking . Are controllers universal?

Thanks in advance!
(I hope i'm in the right section here, and that this counts as a relevant topic).

makarov132:
Firstly, what exactly is "KK"? Many people talk about it but I really don't get what it's all about.

Google is your friend.

So it's similiar to Arduino (an "open" flight controller technology)?

I haven't used it myself, but it appears to be an Arduino clone (and software) that has the required sensors integrated into the main board.

Two pieces of advice:

Google ardupilot mega before you buy any avionics.

Buy extra props. Lots of 'em.

-j

https://sites.google.com/a/uah.edu/uahuntsville-software-safety-and-security-laboratory/home/projects/uahexcopter

This site is where I got all of my info for my quad. Everything is open source. https://diydrones.com

d

the apm project is awesome. even if you don't buy a fully built controller, the project is open source and has a huge community. its based off an arduino, and the v1 was a arduino mega plus a shield.

http://code.google.com/p/arducopter/wiki/ArduCopter

Re spare props - get 3 or 4 times as many as you need in the first instance!! Consider prop-saver mountings for them too.

Thanks for the advice everyone (need to double how many props i order...). Anyone know anything about the radio controller? Is there only one universal radio receiver to microcontroller plug?

with the APM project, the transmitter and receiver are paired up. you can buy these together, of just research a bit of what receiver works with what transmitter. then, the receiver will plug into the flight computer (APM) - there is a graphic for this, channel 1 goes to input 1... etc.. then in software, you set the channel ranges, channel inversion among other things.

if you choose not to go this route, you will need to capture the output of the receiver and somehow integrate it with other sensors, to correctly drive the motors. there are some products for this, or you can hack the receiver to get the 'sum' signal out of the receiver to be used later in the flight computer sensor chain.

_J

Jonnym:
with the APM project, the transmitter and receiver are paired up. you can buy these together, of just research a bit of what receiver works with what transmitter. then, the receiver will plug into the flight computer (APM) - there is a graphic for this, channel 1 goes to input 1... etc.. then in software, you set the channel ranges, channel inversion among other things.

if you choose not to go this route, you will need to capture the output of the receiver and somehow integrate it with other sensors, to correctly drive the motors. there are some products for this, or you can hack the receiver to get the 'sum' signal out of the receiver to be used later in the flight computer sensor chain.

_J

More time you spend preparing, more easy it will be to build one.
So why wouldn't you make some calculations about the hardware first, to make sure will the thing even fly.... :grin: