New Arduino Logo Vector (Photoshop PSD Shape Layer)

Searched around quite a bit, even asked in the IRC, and couldn't find a SVG or other vector graphic for the Arduino logo anywhere... it's a really simple, nice looking logo, that works great for printing on projects and whatnot. But there was no vector graphic of it anywhere! So I took the logo from the website and traced it in a shape layer in Photoshop.

For your enjoyment, here is the resulting PSD file, consisting of nothing more than one shape layer that can be resized to your needs.

Since it wasn't done by a computer (and I couldn't find a reference to the font used in the logo either, it may contain some irregularities, but I used plenty of guides and cloning to make sure everything lines up right :wink:

Any feedback welcome!

edit: included demonstration screenshot

Hello

We are in the process of releasing a page that explains how to use the logo for the benefit of the community making sure whoever downloads it understands what are the rules.

We are also releasing a community logo that can be used by any member of the community on their websites, documentation, boards etc for non commercial purposes.

This is in the spirit of other open source projects like:

http://www.mysql.com/about/legal/trademark.html
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Official

Until then please don't release files.

(I've contacted the user personally and I'm trying to explain the situation directly but I have removed the offending remark... we can discuss anything as long as we keep it civil)

Edit: The original reply above was much shorter, simply that the logo is a trademark and can only be used with permission (and hence, was deleted from my post)... hence the little rant in this post. For archival's sake, I'm leaving my original reply intact below. I definitely appreciate the extended reply added above, and I'm definitely looking forward to seeing the community logo project. That seems like a fair trade to me!

But dang, it really did take a lot of work to accurately recreate that logo - lettering and all - in Photoshop... :~

Wow, for an open-source project that relies on its members for promotion and profit, with hundreds or thousands of spinoff projects "for Arduino" and based on Arduino, where Arduino itself is an extension (Arduino IDE) of an extension (Wiring) of an extension (avr-libc) of a platform (AVR)... and especially considering as though the content which you so dutifully deleted is actually 100% my own (couple hours of) work, hand-traced over your "trademark" (which I believe doesn't imply copyright, but even if it did, it's still my original work - even if it is pretty damn identical looking to the original, this medium of the art didn't exist prior to my work)... umm...

... that's a pretty (offensive remark removed) position to take.

Perhaps you oughtta think twice about your official statements? That's probably not the precedent you'd want to set with this project... I mean, unless you want to be 100% certain that nobody ever uses the Arduino logo on their Arduino-based projects (which is, far as I can tell, 100% legal)...

edit: And to expand on the "trademark" thing... well, I mean, first of all, the very notion that you're literally fighting against your own promoters is just appalling and rather hard to think beyond... but use of your trademark TO REFER TO THE TRADEMARKED PRODUCT ITSELF... is COMPLETELY LEGAL - see: Trademark - Wikipedia - of note, placing the Windows logo on Windows-compatible products, the "Nutri-Sweet" logo on products containing Nutri-Sweet, and Intel attached a large booklet of licensing terms to reign-in the ability for people to slap the Intel logo on Intel-powered PCs (but such use is still legal). None of these rules or boundaries regarding trademarks prevents any CREATION or DISTRIBUTION of the logo itself, but merely controlling what the trademark can be attached to. For example, I couldn't print the Arduino logo on a box of cereal and sell it as "Arduin-O's". But I could print it on a product label where the product is based on a genuine Arduino board. I just can't name or brand (that is, "trade") it under the name ("mark"), "Arduino".

to the uninformed reader (and I am at the front of that queue) it does seem a bit harsh

Well, as I revised above, I'm definitely happy with the modified response! It's kinda sad that my work in creating a vector logo must go unseen (except by those lucky enough to have grabbed it), but if there's a more appropriate community logo now in the works, I think it's not all for lost after all. :smiley:

What is the sh*t about copying the logo, its a infinte symbol, Arduino guys, are you paying to bernoulli?
The symbol is known as Bernoulli lemniscate, do you have permission to "trademark" something that is part of the universal knowledge?

Well, I do think they (may) have a valid trademark there... UPS somehow trademarks "the color brown", so it seems anything is fair game as long as it's not already in use by multiple companies (that's probably how UPS got it - they use the color as part of their identity, while nobody else does - now nobody else can, hence the trademark).

It does seem really badly planned to be copycatting other massive open-source projects and "defending" the Arduino "trademark" to such an extent. I can understand protecting the core Arduino team and business from illegal knockoffs, but there's already little reason to go branding a fake as "Arduino" illegally anyway (so those numbers ought to be pretty few). Besides, the name itself is just as serious a trademark as the logo, and anyone can just type the letters "A-r-d-u-i-n-o" on a product and be just as at-fault as someone slapping the Arduino logo on a box - both are illegal uses of the trademark and could be taken down just as easily.

I could understand providing limitations to the use of the Arduino trademark (and logo), but to not even allow someone to reconstruct the logo and post that work? Still seems a bit excessive.

This'll all be resolved when that "community logo" thing is done, though. I'm eager to see more details! :smiley:

Just wanted to give a good bump-deh-bump here to check up on this "community logo" idea... any progress on that?

just so you know:

tracing this logo and making a good looking SVG logo took me about 35 sec in inkscape. (opensource software)

but that's not the point.

the point is ...

well what actually is the point?

Hello,

I haven't found that page... As I am giving an Arduino talk next week during a conference in SFO, I'd like to know if I am allowed to use the Arduino logo on my slides?

Thanks,

Pretty lame that they took down your logo.

Oh well, I'm moving on to the FEZ Panda II anyways. Better gear for a lower price... and threading capability is nice.

geonel:
Hello,

[quote author=Massimo Banzi link=topic=61922.msg450658#msg450658 date=1306402385]
We are in the process of releasing a page that explains how to use the logo for the benefit of the community making sure whoever downloads it understands what are the rules.

I haven't found that page... As I am giving an Arduino talk next week during a conference in SFO, I'd like to know if I am allowed to use the Arduino logo on my slides?

Thanks,
[/quote]

Just out of curiosity, if you don't mind me asking, what conference are you giving your Arduino talk at?

BOZ

More than a year after, no signs of a logo page and I'm only able to find logos smaller than 200px. Using that on a 1080p movie makes me really sad.

Welcome to the Wonderful World of IP.