Cannot connect Wifly Shield to Arduino Uno

This is the first time I work with Arduino. I bought an Arduino Uno and a Wifly Sheild.
I am not able to run some example from WiflySerial and it stops at WiFly.begin();.
Now a have a few questions.

1. How can I test if the Wifly Shield is working?
  2. How can I check/update the firmware version of Wifly Shield?
  3. What are the pins that need to be connected? Currently, I have connected all the pins using the header pins. I can see the LEDs blink on PI04 and PI06.
  4. How do i reset the Wifly Shield? With the usb cable connected to computer?
  5. Where can I find the working example for my boards and sheild combination?

Thanks in advance.

Your thread title really needs some work. It looks like you can't even figure out how to install a shield.

I bought an Arduino Uno and a Wifly Sheild.

Which shield?

What wireless router is the shield trying to connect to? What encryption scheme is that router using?

Which shield?

What wireless router is the shield trying to connect to? What encryption scheme is that router using?

The shield is WiFly Shield - WRL-09367 - SparkFun Electronics.
The router is linksys wrt 54 G with dd-wrt firmware and encryption is WPA-TKIP.

Your thread title really needs some work. It looks like you can't even figure out how to install a shield.

Please suggest me title that I should put.

The first thing I would like to know is how can I verify the Wfily Shield is not faulty.
If this shield is faulty, I need to go to the seller and ask for replacement :D.
Other questions can take time.

Did you try working through the sparkfun tutorial on getting the board going? http://www.sparkfun.com/tutorials/158

dhunt:
Did you try working through the sparkfun tutorial on getting the board going? http://www.sparkfun.com/tutorials/158

I tried the tutorial but I was not able to run it and got this error

In file included from D:\ARDUINO\arduino-1.0\hardware\arduino\cores\arduino/Arduino.h:212,
from WiFly_Terminal.cpp:51:
D:\ARDUINO\arduino-1.0\hardware\arduino\variants\standard/pins_arduino.h:41: error: expected unqualified-id before numeric constant
D:\ARDUINO\arduino-1.0\hardware\arduino\variants\standard/pins_arduino.h:42: error: expected unqualified-id before numeric constant
D:\ARDUINO\arduino-1.0\hardware\arduino\variants\standard/pins_arduino.h:43: error: expected unqualified-id before numeric constant

I am running Arduino 1.0 IDE. Is that matter?

In that tutorial, I saw this:

The first task was to initialize the SC16IS750 SPI-UART bridge chip in order to transparently communicate with the WiFly through a terminal.

Although I have little knowledge about current,volts and resistance, I have no experience with ICs.
I come from software background and it will be very appreciated if someone can guide me with this including the hardware connection.

As this is my first time using Arduino, I have so many question flying around my head.

I have successfully installed the sample LED Blink sketch to my Arduino Uno. Therefore, I assume there is no problem with my Arduino board.

Do I need to install something on Wifly Shield?
Or just upload to the Arduino?

Currenly, I just solder the header pins to Wifly Shield and just plug it into the Arduino Uno.

you could try to download the IDE 0.22 and try the sparkfun code. It might be that it is not 1.0 compatible yet. (just a thought)

I have a Wifly Shield "Wifly 2.21 RN-131C" and a Uno R2.

Using IDE 0023 and running the Wifly_WebClient example sketch it works fine.

gvorster:
I have a Wifly Shield "Wifly 2.21 RN-131C" and a Uno R2.

Using IDE 0023 and running the Wifly_WebClient example sketch it works fine.

Thx gvorster, you are right.
I have the exact hardware as you had and it was 1.0 problem.

Also thx robtillaart for the info.

I don't know what tutorial you are using, but I downloaded the WiFly_Terminal.pde code from the link you posted.

Those erros appear to be caused by a conflict between pins_arduino.h and WiFly_Terminal.

WiFly_Terminal.pde

// Arduino SPI pins
#define CS         10
#define MOSI       11
#define MISO       12
#define SCK        13

Those defines do bad things to these in pins_arduino.h

const static uint8_t MOSI = 11;
const static uint8_t MISO = 12;
const static uint8_t SCK = 13;