Another Arduino clone with 1284P

Dear forum community,
I've built an Arduino like board with ATmega1284P chip. Here is the first functional prototype (poor mobile phone photo, I know) I'd like to show off.
Main features:

• ATmega1284P: more of FLASH, RAM, ports, etc.
  • Arduino shape look (it is function less but I like it)
  • additional ports - all of 1284P's ports are available; I'd tried at max. compatibility with UNO
  • FT232RL instead ATMega16U2 as USB/RS232 convertor - due to the problems with a large amount of data transfer under some speeds so I decided for FTDI
  • LEDs are on better visible place (especially if shield is plugged into the board)
  • similar power circuit as UNO with automatic choice of source USB/barrel_jack
  • full-swing crystal, tested with 16MHz, 18MHz, 18.432MHz, 20MHz)

and.. that's it.
I appreciate your comments but don't be a cruel, please. :slight_smile:

Here is pin configuration (for PDIP)

+---\/---+
       *[D22]    (PCINT8/XCK0/T0) PB0  1|        |40 PA0 (ADC0/PCINT0)   [D24/A0]
       *[D23]    (PCINT9/CLKO/T1) PB1  2|        |39 PA1 (ADC1/PCINT1)   [D25/A1]
        [D8]  (PCINT10/INT2/AIN0) PB2  3|        |38 PA2 (ADC2/PCINT2)   [D26/A2]
    PWM~[D9]  (PCINT11/OC0A/AIN1) PB3  4|        |37 PA3 (ADC3/PCINT3)   [D27/A3]
    PWM~[D10]  (PCINT12/OC0B/!SS) PB4  5|        |36 PA4 (ADC4/PCINT4)   [D28/A4]
        [D11] (PCINT13/ICP3/MOSI) PB5  6|        |35 PA5 (ADC5/PCINT5)   [D29/A5]
    PWM~[D12] (PCINT14/OC3A/MISO) PB6  7|        |34 PA6 (ADC6/PCINT6)   [D30/A6]*
    PWM~[D13]  (PCINT15/OC3B/SCK) PB7  8|        |33 PA7 (ADC7/PCINT7)   [D31/A5]*
                               !RESET  9|        |32 AREF
                                  VCC 10|        |31 GND
                                  GND 11|        |30 AVCC
                                XTAL2 12|        |29 PC7 (TOSC2/PCINT23)    [D21]*  
                                XTAL1 13|        |28 PC6 (TOSC1/PCINT22)    [D20]*   
   Rx0<-[D0]    (PCINT24/RXDO/T3) PD0 14|        |27 PC5 (TDI/PCINT21)      [D19]*    
   Tx0->[D1]       (PCINT25/TXD0) PD1 15|        |26 PC4 (TDO/PCINT20)      [D18]*    
   Rx1<-[D2]  (PCINT26/RXD1/INT0) PD2 16|        |25 PC3 (TMS/PCINT19)      [D17]*    
   Tx1->[D3]  (PCINT27/TXD1/INT1) PD3 17|        |24 PC2 (TCK/PCINT18)      [D16]*   
    PWM~[D4]  (PCINT28/XCK1/OC1B) PD4 18|        |23 PC1 (SDA/PCINT17)  [D15/SDA]
    PWM~[D5]       (PCINT29/OC1A) PD5 19|        |22 PC0 (SCL/PCINT16)  [D14/SCL]
    PWM~[D6]   (PCINT30/OC2B/ICP) PD6 20|        |21 PD7 (OC2A/PCINT31)      [D7]~PWM
                                        +--------+

Very nice Budvar10, looks just like one of the Arduino range !!
I have seen a few of these boards similar, but you have done a good job there

Is the header pins/sockets configured for arduino shields, or custom ?

Nice!

Be sure to follow this discussion:
1284P on 1.0.6 and 1.5.7

Ray

Many thanks.

@mcnobby
Thank you for positive reaction. The blue colour it caused probably. :slight_smile: Header are configured for arduino shields, except of 5th one which is custom and contains rest of I/O from MCU. The goal was to make it as close as possible to UNO. Board is little bit longer than UNO in result just for that header.

@mrburnette
I'm interesting in everything concerned to 1284P. To be honest, older discussion around Mighty 1284 inspired me a lot.

Budvar10:
Many thanks.
<...>
@mrburnette
I'm interesting in everything concerned to 1284P. To be honest, older discussion around Mighty 1284 inspired me a lot.

Yes, it is a great 8-bit DIP workhorse. A friend of mine ported the 6502 AVR emulator from a few years back and has Commodore 64 running on a ILI9341 TFT GLCD! So cool.

If you are moving from 2560 Mega or from the 328/32U4 because of SRAM/Flash headroom, our discussions around the STM32 may really get you going! Around $5 U.S., 32-bit, 20K SRAM, 72 MHz, 128KB Flash... still a very long way to go, but many sketches will run at this time when compiled under 1.5.7.
STM32 Maple

Ray

I know that there is a lot of other devices. Sometimes it hard to orientate. My interest is about 8-bit ATmega for now - free time activity (and I especially like 1284P. :slight_smile: ) I think that they offer enough of power and are usable in many directions. It is only about know how to write effective code. E.g. I've been working on some sort of home automation system. During the app growth I've been rewriting it again and again and it always fits into 32kb so UNO is enough only it has not enough of pins. On the other side Mega has a lot of pins but many of them are not on headers so I decided to make own with 1284.
I like your comparison to workhorse, that is exactly it. :slight_smile:

Where is your 1284 board available?

1 Like

It is a prototype now. I have just the first one piece but in next few weeks I will have the first series and also I have to prepare some presentation on web. I can contact you then if you want one or two but I didn't plan to run big trade.

From what I can see (very blurry) in you image you have done a great job.

I, however, like versions where the 1284 is the DIP package.
I guess I am just too old to go with surface mount controllers.

Good job!

I had cause to notice recently that a 1284 in this configuration (portC on an extra header) provides a pretty convenient mechanism for attaching to a JTAG debugging connection. (The JTAG signals are on PC2..5, which are unnecessary to provide basic "Uno-like" service on the other connections.)

LarryD:

I thought that Larry, but then I decided to give it a go.. im 48 and have 12 inches of eyesight that is in focus.. I got myself some cheap x2.5 reading glasses, a very fine soldering iron, and some incredibly thin solder

after a bit of practise I am now soldering LQFP32's and now LQFP44's & 48's

My next big project has 2 x TQFP100's !! (god help me !!)

Bob

Budvar10:
It is a prototype now. I have just the first one piece but in next few weeks I will have the first series and also I have to prepare some presentation on web. I can contact you then if you want one or two but I didn't plan to run big trade.

I'd be interested in seeing one at least. I don't mind it as a kit.

@mcnobby
Very nice work!

I do like to have the controller in a socket though.

LarryD:
I do like to have the controller in a socket though.

Thanks Larry, I have already done several prototypes socketed, now this is moving nearer to a finished product I decided to go fully SM, fingers crossed I dont blow the micro !! :wink:

fingers crossed I dont blow the micro !!

If it blows, just unplug it and plug a new one in. :zipper_mouth_face:

1 Like

LarryD:
If it blows, just unplug it and plug a new one in. :zipper_mouth_face:

I have two boards... two attempts then :wink:

@LarryD

I, however, like versions where the 1284 is the DIP package.

The DIP package is too big for this size of board. The parts were not too small as now when I start with electronics. I had doubts at first but now I can say that it is not so big problem. The key is to have a good soldering station and magnifying lens. The SMD parts are 1206 size which are not so small. The biggest challenge for me was the FT232RL chip.

@ChilliTronix

I'd be interested in seeing one at least. I don't mind it as a kit.

OK, I will contact you via personal message. Be a patient for now, please.

@westfw
I tried to reach to have the all port pins together on one header and also to reach max. UNO compatibility so some connection are doubled.

The DIP package is too big for this size of board.

Nonsense. The layout of the original Arduino/Diecemila/Duemilanove/Uno accepts a 40-pin DIP just fine.
The only issue really is coming up with a standard for the pinouts and extra 12 IO that is available.

Even a minimal SMD board needs to be DIP width to fit the package unless one of the leadless packages is used.

I think it would be a good idea to get a standard Uno R3 + extras pin out for a 1284.