Can't upload to Arduino Mega 2560

it can be tricky you may solder the resistor if you can't do it with the screwdriver. I tried and it works eventually

the screwdriver works, but windows does not detect a dfu device.

Samueldw:
the screwdriver works, but windows does not detect a dfu device.

The first pins you bridge resets the arduino, the second one enables the DFU, you have to be quick or do that in another way. For me it worked nicely, jump reset, then DFU pins and windows eventually detected a new DFU device.

If you are not able to do that, the small chip is probably dead.

when I bridge the green arrow pins, my arduino resets.

I think the chip is just dead. And now? Do I have to program my arduino with a usb-serial programmer?

Samueldw:
when I bridge the green arrow pins, my arduino resets.

I think the chip is just dead. And now? Do I have to program my arduino with a usb-serial programmer?

My experience was only updating my mega, I am not sure if all the revisions are the same or behave the same, but if is dead, the option is to use another arduino or usb-serial as you say. Or try to replace the chip with a reworking station

Replacing the chip is a possibility, to bad that I don't have a reworking station. =(

I think I'm going to buy a programmer. Do you recommend the original programmer from atmel, or just a cheap usb to serial programmer from ebay?

Samueldw:
Replacing the chip is a possibility, to bad that I don't have a reworking station. =(

I think I'm going to buy a programmer. Do you recommend the original programmer from atmel, or just a cheap usb to serial programmer from ebay?

It depends, maybe you can buy original atmel one OR chinese cheap + chinese cheap rework station $)

Have exactly the same problem. Are you using 1.0.1 ? . I was and when I rebuilt the sketch for 0022 the problem went away !. I have no problems uploading to the other boards I have with 1.0.1 only the Mega 2560. Could it possibly be the software ?.
Dougie L

dougiel:
Have exactly the same problem. Are you using 1.0.1 ? . I was and when I rebuilt the sketch for 0022 the problem went away !. I have no problems uploading to the other boards I have with 1.0.1 only the Mega 2560. Could it possibly be the software ?.
Dougie L

Can you test http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,118440.0.html ? I upgraded the 'uploader' in that modded version. I had a similar problem (frequently) with 1.0.1 and my 2560 but Samueldw's arduino never worked.

eried posted
Can you test http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,118440.0.html ? I upgraded the 'uploader' in that modded version. I had a similar problem (frequently) with 1.0.1 and my 2560 but Samueldw's arduino never worked. /quote

Just tried that and it still will not upload to a Mega 2560. No problem with a Uno or a Uno Pro. I have just rebuilt the Mega program so it does not use any 1.0.1. parts so I can upload with the old 0022. Do like that SRAM estimate though after getting caught out on one sketch.
Many thanks
Dougie L

Samueldw,

I noticed in your earlier post that you had mentioned the use of the 8u2 chip and I am pretty sure the 2560 is using the 16u2. May help may not but anyway it is generally good to know. Also, I have not found any good information on resetting the 16u2. I believe mine (16u2) is bricked but haven't completely thrown in the towel yet, whats more I have not been able to determine the reason why it is no longer working. I must admit that locating complete information on the 2560 is a bit like tracking down "Big Foot" in a snow storm...occasionally you can find a foot print but "Big Foot" always seems to get away...:slight_smile:

dougiel:
Dougie L

I had the same problem and also went back to 0022.
I feel fine with 022, it works great and I will not upgrade. :wink:

dougiel:
eried posted
Can you test http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,118440.0.html ? I upgraded the 'uploader' in that modded version. I had a similar problem (frequently) with 1.0.1 and my 2560 but Samueldw's arduino never worked. /quote

Just tried that and it still will not upload to a Mega 2560. No problem with a Uno or a Uno Pro. I have just rebuilt the Mega program so it does not use any 1.0.1. parts so I can upload with the old 0022. Do like that SRAM estimate though after getting caught out on one sketch.
Many thanks
Dougie L

Very weird, you think I can remote control your machine via Teamviewer to check something? I want to fix 1.0.1 for mega 2560, works with mine, but it will be nice to get all boards working

Sorry for late reply. Sorry again but no one gets remote access to any of my machines. Not personal but it just does not happen. ..
Another report has been posted about a similar problem again with a Mega. To my mind its either the 1.0.1 ide or an install problem.
Dougie l

just tried the 0022 but still the same problem.

Try pressing RESET while trying to upload.

same prob, and i can use Teamviewer if someone wants to help...

xvjeko:
same prob, and i can use Teamviewer if someone wants to help...

I can check your machine via remote control so we find a fix for everyone.

Can you first test: http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,118440.0.html ?
If problem continues, then send me your skypeid via message and I can try to check your machine

hey.. any thing further to report on this thread?

I've suffered enough ... my mega2560 revision2 and IDE 1.0.1. I have four mega2560's and i have updated the 8u2 usbserial firmware (.hex RAW from github) in two of them and they still hang with the following verbose on upload:

Programmer Type : STK500V2
Description : Atmel STK500 Version 2.x firmware
Programmer Model: Unknown
avrdude: Send: . [1b] . [01] . [00] . [02] . [0e] . [03] . [90] . [85]
avrdude: Recv:
avrdude: stk500v2_ReceiveMessage(): timeout
avrdude: Send: . [1b] . [01] . [00] . [01] . [0e] . [01] . [14]

and the IDE never rcovers until the USB is disconnected. Once, i pressed RESET on the mega2560 while it was in the hang and it then continued but i haven't been able to replicate that again - though i am certain it was after the first Send: and no Recv: and before the second.

Also, I don't know if it is signifcant, but i believe the verbose above is the first failed upload after a successful one. The subsequent uploads that fail don't appear to have that first ignored Send. This is verbose too, and it is more common:

Using Port : \.\COM17
Using Programmer : stk500v2
Overriding Baud Rate : 115200

... I managed the 8u2 reflash with FLIP. Before that i embarked on the LUFA route but that proved beyond me at the need for doxygen.. and the intricacies beat me.. I write that so that you might know the limit of my ability......

i think there is some significance in the Serial library or perhaps specifically the Stream class (sic?? limit of my understanding and terminology), as it seems all sketches seem to load perfectly if i comment out all references to LiquidCrystal and Serial. .. course the code doesn´t do much for me then but it might be signifcant ..

If i do once or twice get the code to burn properly, my code works well and does all i want... i am now only make tweaks to character positions on the lcd or eg. to a "second screen" display if you hold the pressbutton rather than just press it. That's abstract, but it makes my point that the code is not intrinsically flawed.

Help? What next? I am reticent to go to yet another version of Arduino IDE i now have 0022 (old normal), antipasto (for toushscreen) and now 1.0.1 ... But maybe of course i must.

Greg