SHOUT OUT if you are female.

In a prior thread I just posted I used the word "fellows" and thought to change it to make it gender neutral and decided against it because I genuinely think there are only fellows here anyway. But, I have heard there are at least two female engineers in the world, Limor Fried and Jeri Ellsworth. I additionally have heard a rumor there may actually be others. Are and of them here? Just wondering...

JoeN:
In a prior thread I just posted I used the word "fellows" and thought to change it to make it gender neutral and decided against it because I genuinely think there are only fellows here anyway. But, I have heard there are at least two female engineers in the world, Limor Fried and Jeri Ellsworth. I additionally have heard a rumor there may actually be others. Are and of them here? Just wondering...

From this sites statistics page:

Average registrations per day: 148.24
Average posts per day: 818.65
Average topics per day: 98.44
Total Boards: 85
Latest Member: Adriansko
Average online per day: 281.15
Male to Female Ratio: 12.5:1
Average page views per day: 114785.58

That's actually better than I thought it would be. I don't remember being asked, but my memory may be bad on this.

JoeN:

That's actually better than I thought it would be. I don't remember being asked, but my memory may be bad on this.

You have to set it in your profile and then the little symbol next to your user name changes from unknown to male or female. Yours looks like a packman ghost character meaning not known (or does that mean no preference?). :wink:

I too suspect that 12.5 ratio value, that is probably a side effect of so few stating their gender.

Lefty

I have worked with a small handful of female engineers over the years. I don't think that 12.5:1 ratio is that far off. In our current development team of 25, there are 2 females, which is a ratio of 11.5:1.

I have been lecturing physics to engineering/hard science students for the past several years. I can't remember all my student names but girls' names are easy, because there are only a few in the class.
Now I'm teaching physics to soft science students, about half of them are girls. This ought to change.

In 21 years of teaching Physics I only had two female students.

You can be female and still be a fellow, as in fellow of the institute, it does not imply male.

Having said that I think there are about ten or so females active on this board from time to time.

But, I have heard there are at least two female engineers in the world, Limor Fried and Jeri Ellsworth.

You forgot Grace Hooper, She is the main reason why we have debugging in our compiler systems these days she actually find a Moth in the system that was dead and which messed with inner electronic's.

Having said that I think there are about ten or so females active on this board from time to time.

Wish to know there names? or way to contact? 8) :slight_smile:

I have worked with a small handful of female engineers over the years.

In 21 years of teaching Physics I only had two female students.

I have been lecturing physics to engineering/hard science students for the past several years. I can't remember all my student names but girls' names are easy, because there are only a few in the clas

Sadly Yes

NI$HANT:
You forgot Grace Hooper, She is the main reason why we have debugging in our compiler systems these days she actually find a Moth in the system that was dead and which messed with inner electronic's.

Nice story, but not true.

justjed:
Nice story, but not true.

Drat! I like that story! But I'm not sure I believe the Computerworld article. In one paragraph it says the term bug wasn't in common use in the mid-1940s. In the next paragraph it explains that inventors and engineers had been talking about bugs for more than a century before the moth in the relay incident.

Howzzat again??

You forgot Grace Hooper

Never heard of her, but Rear Admiral Grace Hopper is a hero(ine) of mine.

AWOL:
Rear Admiral Grace Hopper is a hero(ine) of mine.

Ditto, except I'm not sure about that COBOL business :wink:

Never heard of her, but Rear Admiral Grace Hopper is a hero(ine) of mine.

Then you missed a great! side of her.

What's wrong with CoBOL? - Oh - I forgot, It's not C...

Actually CoBOL, when used and written barely well is much more self documenting, and some features are much easier to use than any other language. Just need to be good at variable descriptions.

Getting back on track - my wife is a network engineer and being younger than I am has better eyes too, she assembles the surface mount parts on my projects.
Hates coding tho, I get to do all that.

she assembles the surface mount parts on my projects.
Hates coding tho, I get to do all that.

WoW what a great! wife you have Sir Robert (although I know it already but I think here its a good place to appreciate that :stuck_out_tongue: :))

It's very very hard to have such a pleasure! that is all your's

Wish to know there names? or way to contact?

No wonder they're not speaking up!

No wonder they're not speaking up!

Ya, I know last time when I saw some women in here was months ago when Crossroads were helping her with the shift registers for LED lightening, since then no one, No Wonder why folks like me are Single all the way so long! :slight_smile: Hardly any female colleagues.