Arduino Micro powering with USB gets hot

Hey All,

Just a curiosity: I am using an arduino micro and I have just realized that it gets very hot while powering with USB / or external Vin.
Is that normal?

Thanks in advance :cold_sweat:

What gets hot? The uC chip, or the voltage regulator?

The uC chip usually only gets hot when an IO pin has been damaged. Are all of yours working ok?

stefanostereo:
Just a curiosity: I am using an arduino micro and I have just realized that it gets very hot while powering with USB / or external Vin.
Is that normal?

It can be.

What's connected to it?

Thanks to both of you!

@crossroads: The uC is getting hot. I have tested all the pins and they are perfectly working. I just cannot understand how come that it gets very hot chip and usb port. Maybe i have too sensitive fingers :smiley:

@fungus: nothing! just plugged as it is at the usb. I tried also to use Vin with 9V battery and it has the same problem. Maybe it is just normal..I don't know

anyway..thanks for support guys! appreciate

I haven't used any 32U4 chips in anything, I don't have much else to offer.

Hello,

stefanostereo:

One of these?

Where did you buy it?

stefanostereo:
Thanks to both of you!

@crossroads: The uC is getting hot. I have tested all the pins and they are perfectly working. I just cannot understand how come that it gets very hot chip and usb port. Maybe i have too sensitive fingers :smiley:

@fungus: nothing! just plugged as it is at the usb. I tried also to use Vin with 9V battery and it has the same problem. Maybe it is just normal..I don't know

It doesn't sound normal to me. AVR chips only use about as much as an LED when they've got nothing connected. Can you measure the current (amps) being drawn when you power it with the battery?

With the basic blink sketch loaded to my Micro the uC is still cold to the touch. What kind of sketch have you loaded?