Connecting WiFi Shield to Arduino Esplora

Hi everybody,

I'm trying (without success) to connect my Esplora to the WiFi Shield to create a wireless connection. I'm using the 6pins ICSP headers to connect (http://arduino.cc/en/Guide/ArduinoWiFiShield and http://arduino.cc/en/Guide/ArduinoEsploraExamples) but the LED that indicates the connection on WiFi shield turns ON and then, after some seconds, turns OFF.
I already tested the wifi shield and my cables with an Arduino Uno and it's all ok.

Does anybody already tried to do this connection ?

best

Hi bruinsan!
It's not a direct solution for your request, but maybe it's bring other perspective:The 21st Century Digital Home: Esplora Expansion Header Pinouts
Enjoy! 8)

Tks dansro,

I will try this approach to connect Esplora to WiFi. I post the result after here. :slight_smile:

Hi,

Up to now, I have not found a solution =(. Even with the dansro approach. Suggestions are welcome.
Tks

Hello, i built a quadcopter with an esplora and xbee just like in the 21st century link, it should work but then again not much experience with the wifi sheild, depending on what you are trying to connect, i would recommend using xbee modules for your project, great range and dependability as well as a bidirectional communication not given in general Transmitter/Receiver combos

You will need to find out what pins other than the ICSP header are used, find the esplora free pins on 21st digital home, remap pins if the "official" pins are not available then change the code to point to the new pins.

You should use an xbee connected to another xbee that sends wifi data from an arduino uno:
Wifi shield - uno - xbee - xbee - esplora

Hey it all depends on your wifi shield, but remember just connecting the ISCP pins will not work, there could be up to 4 more pins that you'll need to try, on the uno the wifi shield uses the ISCP, pin 10, pin 4, Tx and Rx to work properly

ISCP, Tx and Rx are for the main comunication(remember all depends on your wifi shield)
pin 10 is used for slave select (THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT) for the wifi shield
pin 4 is used for slave select(Slightly less important) for the sd card(if installed)

ISCP pins are actuall the SPI interface pins aswell, so you have mosi (Master out slave in)
miso(Master in slave out), SCLK (Serial clock), Reset, and your power (Vcc and Gnd)

But in SPI if you ever used it you can have multiple devices connected to one serial line, but if all were sending data it would look messed up, so you have slave select to select which device can talk at once. So if you want to send a packet to the computer you would need to bring pin 10 (Wifi) to Low and 4 (Sd card) to high), remember slave select is weird, HIGH = Off, LOW = ON. just remember that.

So if you wanted to make the esplora wireless i would suggest this connect pin 10 and 4 on the Wifi shield and connect them to some unused pins on your esplora, then either go into the wifi library and change those pins to the ones you have selected on the esplora or if you can't find them, do it manually by doing pinMode, digitalwrite(pin, HIGH) for off or pin, LOW for on

You can skip pin 4 if you are not using the SD card. Is SPI only used for the SD card?