digital read/write not working within switch/case serial loop

Sorry, more information. I am using a Bluetooth module attached to the arduino. I am using an android app which when you set up a touchbutton and press it, it sends two bytes of information (key,val) over bluetooth to the serial port. This is all working great and triggers the right pins when the right touch button is pressed.

Because the app does not have a serial monitor I cannot see what is going on, the only way I know is by using LEd's on the pins to monitor the mode changes. Using the PC serial monitor as well as the BT module does not work as I think the BT module is the serial input/output port. (I am a beginner so I am still working all this out)

I know that there is no problem with monitoring the switch input because It does switch the mode if I am already making the StopPin HIGH when the mode starts (if I hold down the StopPin button whilst pressing the button on the app).

I know this is because I have the mode changes within the IF serial.available statement and changes can only be made at the same time as serial information is being recieved. I cannot work out a way to have the StopPin change the mode, within the Switch/case block whilst Mode 6 is already running, without having to recieve serial data at the same time.

Sorry if this is confusing as hell