Burning boot loader - observation

Somewhere recently I saw a comment to the effect that using IDE 1.0.? when you burn a boot loader to a 328, you had to call the board a Uno from then on even if it was a Duemilanove. I was playing around burning boot loaders on some chips I had trashed (Ubuntu 10.04 seems to trash boot loaders, but that's a different story) when I discovered that statement was not correct. I burned a boot loader and found I still needed to call it a Duemilanove. Then the next day I burned another one and found it wouldn't work unless I called it a Uno. So I started playing. Seems that you can govern the type of board the IDE thinks you have by changing the board by choosing it in the Tools/Board on the IDE before burning. This may be obvious to everyone but it was news to me. On the off chance I'm not the only clueless person here, I decided to share my observations.

Note, I'm using the usbtinyisp programmer and I only tried it with Uno vs Duemilanove on IDE 1.0.3.

Jim.

"Make sure you have the right item selected in the Tools | Board menu. Then, just launch the appropriate command from the Tools > Burn Bootloader menu of the Arduino environment."

johnwasser:
http://arduino.cc/en/Hacking/Bootloader

"Make sure you have the right item selected in the Tools | Board menu. Then, just launch the appropriate command from the Tools > Burn Bootloader menu of the Arduino environment."

Thanks, I figured it might be documented somewhere but I couldn't find it.

Jim.