Creating subforum for: Component Harvesting

I've just discovered that old computer mice are full of very useful components, like very accurate rotary encoders, ultra fast video cameras, tactile click buttons etc.

Than on eBay one can get very cheap digital scales with watson bridge inside, that can be reworked to work with arduino.

why do not we have a special forum for projects of that kind.

Trashed playstation controllers (heck, just about any recent console controllers) have some great parts, too!

yeah, that's why we should have sub-forum for such things.

That will be interesting.

In this new section, anythings about parts, havest parts, questions about them ... how to connect them....

Sound like the section call : Hacking...

PLEASE, not a "Hacking" forum for parts harvesting. Too many kiddies think they are 1337 h4x0rs because they can wire up an LED ...

jfhaugh:
PLEASE, not a "Hacking" forum for parts harvesting. Too many kiddies think they are 1337 h4x0rs because they can wire up an LED ...

I think what Techone was "getting at" was the existence of this forum:

http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,17.0.html

So...too late? :slight_smile:

Ehh, I am new to this world, I didn't know that component harvesting was called hacking. Thanks for pointing me to the existing board.

DROBNJAK:
Ehh, I am new to this world, I didn't know that component harvesting was called hacking. Thanks for pointing me to the existing board.

It's not - the term "hacking" (in a broad sense, to cover hardware and software - note that there are as many definitions of "hacking" as there are for the term "robot") could be considered "the re-purposing of a system or component towards a different, and quite possibly unrelated (and/or typically unanticipated by the designer) purpose".

Component harvesting just seems to fall best into the sub-forum of "Device Hacking" because its about (according to tag-line) "looking into existing technologies, reappropiation of devices, tricks of the trade"; the "reappropiation of devices" could in effect mean an entire electronic design, a sub-component, or an individual component...

Or reverse engineer... any systems, parts, etc...