Go Down

Topic: Collecting and storing audio signals via arduino-101 (Read 429 times) previous topic - next topic

ecestudent17

Mar 07, 2017, 12:21 am Last Edit: Mar 07, 2017, 12:29 am by ecestudent17
Hello all,

I currently have an arduino-101; My goal is to record and collect an audio signal in 40 millisecond windows with 320 samples (30/0.04) = 8000 (for an 8Khz sampling rate.)

I already have the microphone and audio capturing circuitry set up, the only part left is to write the code.

1) Is this possible to do with the arduino-101 hardware? I have tried looking up the specifications but cannot find if an 8kHz sampling rate for the arduino-101 will work;

2) What is the best method to go about doing this? The ultimate goal is to be able to break down the audio signal and, via some DSP techniques, extract some features (MFCC features to be specific) to use in analysis.

Should I just create a vector of 320 elements and read from the pin i am inputting audio to, and save those values in the vector?

Please let me know if any additional information is needed, thanks!

facchinm

If you need to store the data persistently you can use CurieSerialFlash library (it uses the onboard 2MB flash memory so you'll probably never be out of space).
About the sampling rate, 8KHz should be achievable with the standard analogRead; when you finished collecting the samples you can analyse them in any way you prefer (FFT, etc)

ecestudent17

Mar 13, 2017, 01:02 am Last Edit: Mar 13, 2017, 01:44 am by ecestudent17
If you need to store the data persistently you can use CurieSerialFlash library (it uses the onboard 2MB flash memory so you'll probably never be out of space).
About the sampling rate, 8KHz should be achievable with the standard analogRead; when you finished collecting the samples you can analyse them in any way you prefer (FFT, etc)
thanks for the quick reply man!!

Unfortunately though, I think the arduino-101 only has 196 kb memory unless I'm mistaken :(

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13787

update: Ive switched over to the YUN, this has more than enough memory and also takes an SD card; I will update with any further questions I may have shortly :) :)

facchinm

Just for reference, the 192KB are the embedded RAM, I was referring to the external non-volatile flash memory (you can find it at the bottom right of Curie chip) which size is indeed 2MB (although it's way slower than RAM based memory).

Go Up