Controlling 20 DC Motors

Hi,
please excuse me but my english is not so good and my Arduino skills neither.
I'm developing a project where I need to control 20 DC Motors, 12V. I need only start and stop the motors and change direction. I will not change the speed.
I'm working with an Arduino duemilanove and a DFRobots motor shield. That works perfect for two motors but what about control 20?

Thank you very much for your help

well all you need is 9 more h-bridges(motor controllers) and your set :slight_smile:
Unless the motors are VERY small and consume very little current, the you need 1 extra h-bridge for each 2 motors you connect,
and also make sure you use a power supply that can handle the current.

Regards

Jak24

Thank you Jak24!
The good new is that I'm near, but I think that I have not enough pins for control the 20 motors independently.
I know, I know, I didn't said it before, I only talked about the 20 motors.
I appreciate any suggestion

Echi

Echi:
Thank you Jak24!
The good new is that I'm near, but I think that I have not enough pins for control the 20 motors independently.
I know, I know, I didn't said it before, I only talked about the 20 motors.
I appreciate any suggestion

Echi

Use a shift register (actually, a few daisy chained) to control each h-bridge. Something like the 74HC595 (common shift register - used all the time for LED projects on the Arduino), which is an 8-bit shift register; since each h-bridge needs (minimum) 2 bits of info per motor (pwm and direction), for 20 motors you need 40 bits, or 5 such 8-bit shift registers.

Hi I have the same problem like u, but I use arduino mega 2560, it have 54 digital I/O,

I control 22 dc motor, each one with H brige, but i use Dual Phototransistor Optocouplers MCT6, in each digital output.

But now I have to give de reference(degree, position) by serial communication to all 22 motor.... please any body can help with this.. tks.

Ivan Dario

This is my robot: enzo robot - YouTube

Hola Ivandarío, I've just seen your robot, GUAU!
Concerning the motors, I'm a bit lost. Use an arduino mega could be part of the solution for my problem, I will have enough pins. If it's not to much to ask, could you send me an schema with the arduino and the H-bridges?
Realmente está bueno tu proyecto robot, espero que podamos resolver estos problemas de control de motores, en mi caso es más sencillo, ya que solo necesito controlar dc motors on y off y cambio de dirección.

Gracias y un saludo

Echi

But now I have to give de reference(degree, position) by serial communication to all 22 motor.

You can only do this with some sort of positional feedback. Are these servos or just regular DC motors?

If they are regular DC motors then this is not an easy thing to do and for 22 then I fear it might be beyond the capability of an arduino.
It is not clear if you have to report the position or set it.

Is this a real project or some sort of assignment?
the phrase:-

But now I have to

suggests it is some sort of task you have been set by an educator.