New Arduino Chip

Hello, I have an arduino duemilanove and got it quite a few years ago on ebay. It came with the ATMEGA168 which has been working great but I wanted to interface it with Labview and the sketch was too big for the 168. I ordered a ATMEGA328 off of amazon and I just can not get it to work. I am not sure if there is a certain way you have to set up a new board. I get an error that says this:

"avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00"

All I did was switch out the chips but I am not sure if there was another step I missed. The arduino was working great before I switched. I saw something about a loopback test by connecting a wire from ground to reset and rx and tx and it was echoing back like the test said it should. I don't know if that helps. Any advice?

The first question is, did you buy an Arduino bootloader chip or just a plain
unprogrammed ATmega 328?

I ordered a ATMEGA328 off of amazon

Do you have a link to the amazon listing for the chip? The issue is if the chip comes preloaded with a bootloader or not. If not you will have to burn a bootloader onto it before it will function with the standard arduino IDE upload function. If it did come with a bootloader then the next step is to know what version of bootloader it had installed into it. If it comes with the Uno bootloader then you must select Uno as the board selection choice in the the IDE tools option before doing an upload, or select duemilanove board if the chip contains the older duemilanove bootloader.

Lefty

Here is a link for it:

I don't know anything about bootloading. It says it has a pre-installed one

ajk4550:
Here is a link for it:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00761CCH0/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

I don't know anything about bootloading. It says it has a pre-installed one

Yep, it's stated to have the orginal duemilanove bootloader installed in it.

So that leave three possiblities in my mind:

1, did you make sure you plugged the chip in the correct direction in the socket?
2, It really has the Uno bootloader installed instead. Try selecting the Uno board selection and upload
3. A defective chip, not likely but who knows.

Lefty

Edit: 13K posts, I really do need to get a life.

1. Yep plugged in the right way
  2. I didn't get the error when I switched the board to Uno under the settings and uploaded, it just said done uploading. I tried to interface it with my computer program but it didn't work. I am away from my arduino right now but I can later try uploading a simple LED blink just to test out if it works. What happens if it has the Uno bootloader on it? Would it still work or will I have to put the duemilanove one on? Right now I'm working on interfacing with software and Serial communication if that makes a difference.
    3)...yeah...I hope not :confused: shipping takes forever

ajk4550:

1. Yep plugged in the right way
  2. I didn't get the error when I switched the board to Uno under the settings and uploaded, it just said done uploading. I tried to interface it with my computer program but it didn't work. I am away from my arduino right now but I can later try uploading a simple LED blink just to test out if it works. What happens if it has the Uno bootloader on it? Would it still work or will I have to put the duemilanove one on? Right now I'm working on interfacing with software and Serial communication if that makes a difference.
    3)...yeah...I hope not :confused: shipping takes forever

The board will work fine using a Uno bootloader, you just need to remember to always pick Uno as the board type for your now ex-duemilanove.

Lefty

Ok great! Thank you so much for your help

Edit: 13K posts, I really do need to get a life.

I warned ya, repent now before it's too late.

OP, as noted, UNO bootloader works fine in Duemilanove boards. Funny that the vendor
doesn't know what he's doing! You can buy the bootloader chips from places in the US
like jameco, adafruit, sparkfun, but they cost a good deal more.

We learn something every day !

I sometimes buy other-than-duemilenova bootloaded chips for my embedded projects, and hook up my two boards to reload the original bootloader.

So I could have just tried selecting another board.....

@ OP, did the LED on the Arduino board flash once a second when you switched on ?