Nuvoton ISD1700 Chip

Attached are a few photos of the breadboard. I'm not sure exactly what you could really determine from the photos, but its all worth a shot.

I have the ISD1700 hooked up exactly as in example 2 (page 17) of the datasheet with a few exceptions:
http://www.nuvoton.com/hq/enu/ProductAndSales/ProductLines/ConsumerElectronicsIC/ISDVoiceIC/ISDChipCorder/Documents/ISD1700.pdf

The exception is that I am not using the Analn as shown there, but rather have a mic hooked up as in example 1 (page16) of the datasheet.
Also, I am supplying power to the chip from VCC and GND of the arduino, which is getting power from USB at the moment.
Also, I have a 100 ohm resistor in series with the speaker just to be safe, since I don't believe USB can drive an 8 ohm speaker.
If I put my ear right up against the speaker, I can hear a tiny bit of background noise, so I know it is on. Plus the LED connected to Pin 2 of the chip is lit.

I will keep plugging away, but if anyone thinks of anything let me know. Also, don't rule out the stupidest of suggestions. I am a total newbie to the arduino, so I could have something really dumb going on. I have other electronics experience, just not with the arduino.

Thanks in advance.