Is there any good free webpage building software?

I am wanting to build a web site to show pictures and provide some reference to things. I used to use MS Frontpage but, now you have to buy it separate from MS office.
Therefore, I am looking for a good alternative. The software needs to be Windows 7 compatible.

Also if anyone knows of a good US based place to hold web sites for little to nothing let me know.

Thanks,
Mark

With or without a domain name?

Commercial?

For the time being, a domain name is not required. My original plan was to use my internet provider to get a page up.

Technically it will be commercial but, the site will only hold pictures and some info. No ordering or purchasing will be done on the site.
Also, it will be more of a example site at first, then go farther if it is worth while.

It is for a friend so, some details still need worked out.

Try net2 - Net square - Software corner for software geeks

I use nvu to create & maintain my website.

I use Jabry.com for hosting development work. Free hosting, support for ASP....

Downside is that they must have hosted some dodgy web sites as even e-mails with the name in get blocked by (some) anti-spam software.

I have not used them but Google has something "free and easy" (their words)...

I have considered using Google because of the search integration (I believe Google provides a "search this site") and the templates.

Thanks guys for the input. I think I have plenty of info. to get somethings started. All of the choices look like they could do the trick!

For me I've done web site hosting eons ago and it was a pain. Now I just use a blog. All styles are premade and you can upload pictures and docs to it. Much easier to maintain and you get some traffic info as well as comments from visitors etc. I am using wordpress.com

Thanks for the input liudr. I took a guess and for the moment, I am giving Google sites a try. They have some templates already made but, the editing tools are not as friendly as I would like so far. I have just got started with it, so time will tell. I have used Front Page years ago and I still have a book but, so far it is not going to be helpful.

I usually suggest www.squarespace.com to people but it's not free.

Just yesterday someone turned me on to http://www.weebly.com/

I have not tried it yet but it looks similar to squarespace and they have a free option.