HarwareSerial.h

on my PC this is one of the arduino paths

C:\Program Files (x86)\arduino-0022\hardware\arduino\cores\arduino

and the red part is different depending on IDE version

need to collect the serial data from the UART directly to a variable, through a software serial port.

Are you familiar with the Serial class? It abstracts the hardware uarts,

if (Serial.available() > 0) x = Serial.read();

@robtillaart & @tuxduino: I am using ubuntu 11. I downloaded and installed arduino 0022 using the 'software centre' of ubuntu. Installation takes place automatically once the download is done.
The problem i faced was that i couldn't include the header file HardwareSerial.h in my program and hence i couldn't invoke the function UART.Read() (which i came across in a forum long time ago).
My requirement, in short, is to collect a serial data into a variable. By using "if (Serial.available() > 0) x = Serial.read()", we can collect data into variable x, only if we type the required string within the "Serial Monitor" of arduino. What i am trying is, to transmit a data, for example, "Serial.myPrint("arduino");", which will be transmitted via the 'tx' pin 3(which is set as my software 'tx' pin; pin 2 is the software 'rx') and collect the same into a variable, via the 'rx' pin of arduino. I have shorted the 'tx' pin of arduino with the software 'rx' pin 2 and 'rx' pin of arduino with the software 'tx' pin 3.
As i mentioned, if we use "x=UART.Read()", i can read and collect a data being received by the 'rx' pin of arduino.

By using "if (Serial.available() > 0) x = Serial.read()", we can collect data into variable x, only if we type the required string within the "Serial Monitor" of arduino.

Definitely NOT true.

Serial.print() writes to the hardware tx pin, Serial.Read() reads from the hardware rx pin.
You don't need to use UART.Read() but you can.

The serial monitor of the IDE can connect to the COM port (/dev/tty...) the Arduino has. This port is connected to the pins 0 and 1 too.
Any serial application can connect to the COM port (/dev/tty...) and read data from the Arduino. That is not restricted to the IDE.

My requirement, in short, is to collect a serial data into a variable.

x = Serial.Read() does just that.

What i am trying is, to transmit a data, for example, "Serial.myPrint("arduino");", which will be transmitted via the 'tx' pin 3(which is set as my software 'tx' pin; pin 2 is the software 'rx') and collect the same into a variable, via the 'rx' pin of arduino. I have shorted the 'tx' pin of arduino with the software 'rx' pin 2 and 'rx' pin of arduino with the software 'tx' pin 3.

The Arduino is single tasking and software serial is quite time critical so having it interrupted by the hardware serial my corrupt timing especially at higher baud rates.
What baud rate are you using?

As i mentioned, if we use "x=UART.Read()", i can read and collect a data being received by the 'rx' pin of arduino.

Does that mean you have it working now?

UART.Read()-I have only seen it. Still i can't use it.
I am using 9600 baud rate both for software and hardware serial.

Assume this scenario. In my program i am using a keypad. There are 12 keys. Once a key is pressed, a serial data corresponding to that key is transmitted. Say, for example, if first key is pressed data "Key1" is transmitted. (using Serial.Print("Key1"):wink: I need this data to be collected in a variable, after its transmission,through a port pin of arduino. This is the flow: A key is pressed--> Data corresponding to that key is transmitted--> Collect this data to a variable, through a port pin of arduino.

This is what i am trying to accomplish. I am using software serial to make port pin of arduino collect serial data.

I am using software serial to make port pin of arduino collect serial data.

Then why is HardwareSerial.h/.cpp relevant? You need to post code for both the sender and the receiver, so we can see what you are doing.

The reason why i wanted to use HardwareSerial.h was to use UART.Read().
I am using the same arduino board as the sender and receiver.
Sender is the hardware 'tx' pin.
Receiver is any of the port pin of arduino.

program:

#include<NewSoftSerial.h> // for software serial pins
NewSoftSerial mySerial(2,3); // sets port pin 2 as software 'rx' and pin 3 as software 'tx'
char c;
void setup()
{
Serial.begin(9600); //sets baud rate for hardware UART
mySerial.begin(9600); //sets baud rate for oftware UART
}
void loop()
{
Serial.Print("Key1"); //data sent via hardware 'tx' pin
delay(1000);
if(mySerial.available()>0)
{
c=mySerial.Read(); //data read via software 'rx' pin
delay(1000);
}
}

I shorted the harware 'tx' and software 'rx' pins; also the harware 'rx' and software 'tx' pins. But this code did not work. I even tried the other way around. That is, transmit via software 'tx' and receive via harware 'rx'. But that too did not work. The code for this arrangement is here:

void loop()
{
Serial.myPrint("Key1"); //data sent via software 'tx' pin
delay(1000);
if(Serial.available()>0)
{
c=Serial.Read(); //data read via hardware 'rx' pin
delay(1000);
}
}

Can you compile this code ???

One question about your code (removed your comments)

#include<NewSoftSerial.h>  
NewSoftSerial mySerial(2,3); 

char c;  

void setup()
{
  Serial.begin(9600);  
  mySerial.begin(9600);  
}

void loop()
{
  Serial.Print("Key1"); //(1) <<<<<<<<<<<<<<
  delay(1000);
  if (mySerial.available() > 0)
  {
    c=mySerial.Read(); // (2) <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
    delay(1000);
  }
}

So you (1) print 4 characters over hardware serial and (2) read only one in software serial and you do nothing with it.

What do you expect to happen?

void loop()
{
Serial.[color=red]myPrint[/color]("Key1"); //does not exist!!!     mySerial.print("key1") might compile
delay(1000);
if(Serial.available()>0)
  {
   c=Serial.Read(); 
   delay(1000);
  }
}

for the rest same problem as before.

At least if you send 4 chars you need to read 4 chars.

Serial.myprint() was a mistake. Actual syntax is mySerial.print().

I could compile my code.

What i expect is to receive those 4 characters "key1" through the software 'rx' pin, to a variable c, once it has been transmitted over the hardware 'tx'.

I could compile my code.

Then, post your ACTUAL code.

char c;

void setup()
{
Serial.begin(9600);
mySerial.begin(9600);
}

void loop()
{
Serial.Print("Key1");
delay(1000);
{
c=mySerial.Read();
}
}

This is the code i compiled. But couldn't receive data "key1" to the variable c.
Could you check the output in your hardware, once shorting the pins i mentioned?

But couldn't receive data "key1" to the variable c.

How do you know? What is connected to the software serial pins - 2 and 3?

char c;

void setup()
{
Serial.begin(9600);
mySerial.begin(9600);
}

void loop()
{
Serial.Print("Key1");
delay(1000);
{
c=mySerial.Read();
delay(1000);
}
Serial.print(c);
}

I could observe garbage values only. I tried with a single character, as well. That is, Serial.print('A'), instead of Serial.print("key1"). Still, i couldn't get the desired result.

Software pin 'tx' (pin 3) is shorted to hardware 'rx' and Software pin 'rx' (pin 2) is shorted to hardware 'tx'

The proper ratio of answers to questions is 1 to 1. Try again.

What i expect is to receive those 4 characters "key1" through the software 'rx' pin, to a variable c, once it has been transmitted over the hardware 'tx'.

and what did you get?
and how did you check that?

I printed the variable to verify. But i could obtain garbage values only.
Serial.print(c); Check this code below:

char c;

void setup()
{
Serial.begin(9600);
mySerial.begin(9600);
}

void loop()
{
Serial.Print('A');
delay(1000);
{
c=mySerial.Read();
delay(1000);
}
Serial.print(c);
}

Here in the serial monitor i got output as shown below:
A A ........

Why are you printing the value of c whether you received any data, or not? Move that print() statement inside the if() block.

And, answer the questions. WHAT IS CONNECTED TO PINS 2 AND 3?

pin 3 (software 'tx') connected to hardware 'rx'
pin 2 (software 'rx') connected to hardware 'tx'