Arduino with Type J Thermocouple?

I'd like to get the Arduino to read temperatures of up to 200C/400F but using a Type J thermocouple. Adafruit sells an excellent Type K thermocouple breakout for the Arduino, but sadly I can't find anything similar for Type J thermocouples. Does anyone know of anything or can show me how to wire up a Type J thermocouple ampliflier to an Arduino platform?

I pulled up this thread from the old forum: http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1295571570

Which had a user post up this Type J ampliflier:

Can anyone help me out on using this?

Er, did you read the Analog web page you posted? That one only covers 0 to 50C.

Check out this thread. I don't know of a breakout board with this part on it, but it's compatible with the MAX6674/6675 (except the voltage).

-j

kg4wsv:
Er, did you read the Analog web page you posted? That one only covers 0 to 50C.

Check out this thread. I don't know of a breakout board with this part on it, but it's compatible with the MAX6674/6675 (except the voltage).

-j

I thought that was just the 0-50C cold junction temperature or room temp reference point??? A J thermocouple measures whatever a type J thermocouple can measure.

I also looked at the MAX31855 amplifier which can do multiple thermocouple types. I also looked through the MAX31855 datasheet and the interface is identical MAX6675 Adafruit breakout board: Thermocouple Amplifier MAX31855 breakout board (MAX6675 upgrade) : ID 269 : $14.95 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits

But thanks for the link. I didn't see that people are already working on it.

I thought that was just the 0-50C cold junction temperature or room temp reference point???

You're right, the datasheet does read that way, but the web page didn't look like it (to me, anyway).

You've got to play games to get temps below 0, if that matter for your application.

-j