Interest in overhauling the IDE user interface?

I've overhauled the build system and set up a server to make the builds repeatable. That means we now have a Windows version as well as Mac. Here's the zip:

http://hudson.joshy.org:9001/job/ArduinoX/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/dist/ArduinoX-win.zip

Just unzip it and run the EXE. It has Java and the compiler bundled with it. It runs on Windows 8. It should run on older versions of Windows down to XP, but I haven't actually tried them yet since I'm using Win8 for my job.

This build only has support for a few devices and examples, but it's easy to add more. Please try it out and tell me what bugs/features you want next.

Thanks.
Josh

seems nice, one thing that bugged me was hitting enter did not move the cursor to the new line

Could you clarify? I don't understand what you mean.

Osgeld:
seems nice, one thing that bugged me was hitting enter did not move the cursor to the new line

at the end of a line I would hit enter, a new line would be made but the cursor stayed at the end of the old line

Osgeld:
at the end of a line I would hit enter, a new line would be made but the cursor stayed at the end of the old line

I've just pushed out a new build which should fix this and a few other issues.

Josh,
Have you & eried considered getting together?

This running update of 3 IDEs is a bit confusing.

Hi Josh,

I downloaded the Windows version and got this error

Rob

What version of windows are you running?

Graynomad:
Hi Josh,

I downloaded the Windows version and got this error

Rob

Vista.

Rob

Hmm. 32 or 64 bit?

Sorry, 32-bit.

Rob

Graynomad:
Sorry, 32-bit.

Rob

Okay. That explains it. I'm currently only building the 64bit version. I'll work on a 32bit as well.

In the meantime, I've just pushed out a new build which fixes a ton of bugs and also remembers the set of open sketches between runs.

OK, thanks.

Rob

I've published a 32bit version, along with a bunch of updates. It's added to the build system so now we will always get both versions. Please test it out here:

http://hudson.joshy.org:9001/job/ArduinoX/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/dist/

Trying to compile "blink"

starting compile
assembling sketch in directory: C:\ArduinoX\win
using temp dir: C:\Users\Rob\AppData\Local\Temp\josharduinobuild1498449018706449586.tmp
generating C/C++ file: C:\Users\Rob\AppData\Local\Temp\josharduinobuild1498449018706449586.tmp\.cpp
error!
null
java.lang.NullPointerException
	at com.joshondesign.arduino.common.CompileTask.assemble(CompileTask.java:130)
	at com.joshondesign.arduinox.Actions$2$1.run(Actions.java:74)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Vista, 32-bit, Arduino 1.0.2 I guess but I also have 1.5 installed, how does it know which one to use?

Note the CPP filename.

Rob

sounds like you all are updating the Arduino IDE now and taking suggestions?

Wish list suggestions...

• Option for numbered lines, maybe have the background for the number light gray
  • Search option in "Edit" add "Find and Replace" with check able options to replace all or ask to replace.
  • Option to drag & drop selected text
  • Option to ask to save the sketch if it was edited before Uploading or Require the sketch to be saved before uploading
  • Change font type

FYI: I'm using 1.0.1 on win7 64-bit

Hmm. I can't recreate this error. Does it happen with other sketches too or just hte Blink sketch? Can you post the contents of the settings.txt in the sketch directory?

thanks.

Graynomad:
Trying to compile "blink"

starting compile

assembling sketch in directory: C:\ArduinoX\win
using temp dir: C:\Users\Rob\AppData\Local\Temp\josharduinobuild1498449018706449586.tmp
generating C/C++ file: C:\Users\Rob\AppData\Local\Temp\josharduinobuild1498449018706449586.tmp.cpp
error!
null
java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.joshondesign.arduino.common.CompileTask.assemble(CompileTask.java:130)
at com.joshondesign.arduinox.Actions$2$1.run(Actions.java:74)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Vista, 32-bit, Arduino 1.0.2 I guess but I also have 1.5 installed, how does it know which one to use?

Note the CPP filename.

______
Rob

An empty sketch compiled OK. So I tried blink again and now it works. Go figure.

Note this line from the compile output

generating C/C++ file: C:\Users\Rob\AppData\Local\Temp\josharduinobuild1233808034218210217.tmp\test.cpp

it seems to be correct now.

Can you post the contents of the settings.txt in the sketch directory?

Don't know if you need it any more but there is no settings.txt.

Rob

Yeah, there probably won't be until you modify and save the sketch. No worries. I'm glad it works for you now.

• J

Graynomad:
An empty sketch compiled OK. So I tried blink again and now it works. Go figure.

Note this line from the compile output

generating C/C++ file: C:\Users\Rob\AppData\Local\Temp\josharduinobuild1233808034218210217.tmp\test.cpp

it seems to be correct now.

Can you post the contents of the settings.txt in the sketch directory?

Don't know if you need it any more but there is no settings.txt.

Rob