Feeding the UNO EEPROM with external software through USB

Hi,
I am interested in feeding the EEPROM (and only them) with a software without uploading the complete source code and writing through the EEPROM library. I do not know where to start so any hints or tutorials are welcome.

I do not know where to start

I think you are making an assumption that this is possible. I don't think that it is. There is no connection between the USB to serial chip and the EEPROM memory on the ATMegaXXX chip.

So there is NO way of feeding data into the EEPROM through FTDI? I need to accept that... :frowning:

May there is a back-door. Here is my idea:
I send the following to the Arduino through the USB: 4711 12 5
Arduino send the confirmation back sending: 12 5

Arduino interprets 4711 as command for writing into the EEPROM. And the values to be written would be 12 and 5. May a mor unique number than 4711 would be good...

Here is my idea:
I send the following to the Arduino through the USB: 4711 12 5
Arduino send the confirmation back sending: 12 5

Arduino interprets 4711 as command for writing into the EEPROM. And the values to be written would be 12 and 5. May a mor unique number than 4711 would be good...

That will work, with the right code. Instead of a number to indicate "WriteToEEPROM", you could use a string, like "qUfRisP4yt" (Or maybe WriteToEEPROM).

You need a part of your "message protocol" to be the address in EEPROM that the bytes are to be written to.

Right- the variables reflecting a specific EEPROM address will be filled one after another when sending the data

4711 12 5 7 9

4711--> write to eeprom
12 -->variable 1--> EEPROM position 1
5 -->variable 2--> EEPROM position 2

Another dataset
4712 12 5 7 9

4711--> write to eeprom
12 -->variable 10--> EEPROM position 10
5 -->variable 11--> EEPROM position 11

So the last digit of 4711, 4712, is to keep track of where the message is to go?
Will there be some end character so if comm's get messed up the receiving arduino can recognine that and respond accordingly, or ignore the message, or similar?