Using android mobile to control arduino

The module I got has a proper level shifter on it, but AFAIK one could improvise with zener diodes to achieve the same effect (not that level shifters are very expensive)

Tanks a lot Kerimil for your project vert helpfull.
I tried to do the same without Voice recognising. The connection From my phone and Bluetooth device is ok, the wiring sure ok ( rx to dx and dx to rx). But nô serial data is send. On your sketch, you initialise serial communication with 19200 bauds. I think the Bluetooth deviçe should send is data at same speed. Where did you initialise serial data speed on Bluetooth device? Perhaps the problème comes From there.
Tanks for your answer

Where did you initialise serial data speed on Bluetooth device?

Between the Bluetooth device and the phone, the serial data speed is solved during "pairing" of the device to the phone. At least this is my belief.

Where did you initialise serial data speed on Bluetooth device?

Cyclegadget is right - it's either when pairing or whenever connection is established

Even if baud rate was wrong you'd still receive something - if you don't then it has to be something else.

Verify if the module and the mobile works using a USB bluetooth dongle and a program like putty. Also check the datasheet of the module and the settings - is the module set as slave or master ? For apps I created it has to be set as master

Thanks for sharing your work. I tried it without voice detection. BT is paired with my phone but apperently no serial data is send. If I try to send "1" or "2" with my computer connected in bt, using putty the led switch on and off correctly so the hardware and arduino sketch is ok. my problem is coming from app inventor. what is button 1 set and number for? is the real value 1 and 2 are send or ascii value. I tried with mega 2560 with external power and connect rx and tx to serial 0

@sisyph

I recommend you share your code that you are using, just to eliminate the possibility of the code being the problem.

ohh I see now... the problem you are experiencing is caused by data types

The app sends bytes so it converts '1' into '49' and that's what's sent through bluetooth.

Ohh and you really should have connected the app to the bluetooth dongle - that would make everything clear for you.

Yeah !! it works.
I used in my sketch : case '1' : instead of case 1:
So many hours for ''...
The strange things is that it worked before when I used my bt connection with my computer...
Thanks for your help

Just found this app. Those who are interested can check out ArduinoCommander android app too:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=name.antonsmirnov.android.arduinocommander

hi kerimill,

i wanna buy a bluetooth for this project.so just went through ebay and found this link

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JY-MCU-HC-06-V1-03-Bluetooth-Transeiver-RF-Module-Wireless-Serial-4p-Port-line-/261053366958?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cc7fe42aehttp://www.ebay.com/itm/JY-MCU-HC-06-V1-03-Bluetooth-Transeiver-RF-Module-Wireless-Serial-4p-Port-line-/261053366958?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cc7fe42ae

this bluetooth module has a pairing code 1234. so to pair this module with ur app, should i modify ur project?? will it automatically ask for code??
plz tel me that can i use this module??

thnx
Jazly :slight_smile:

The app doesn't have to pair with the module - just pair with it from the phone and then run the app

It should work just fine - just make sure you check the datasheet of the module & make sure the baud rate is the same (if so then the arduino code has to be modified or the setting of the module)

hi , i am interested in such project .. i purchased arduino uno , bluetooth bee , and x bee sheild ..
i am having a problem in bluetoothfor arduino app.. i couldnt figure out on wat program it will run ...
thnk u for ur cooperation ..

I don't really understand the question... could you be more specific ? I know English is probably not your native language but I can't really tell what's the problem

I have a senior project , our instructor couldnt help me , because he siad that arduino and android isnt his domain, and said that it a new tech ,go ask some experts,, so i made plenty of searches but rarely i got info :frowning:
in my project i need to control ( turn on and off lights using arduino, android mobile phone , via bluetooth )
i bought an arduino uno , arduino shield (for Bbee ) , bluetoothbee, and relay...
i saw ur codes , but i need u to tell me where to use them .. plz help me if u can..
ive downloaded books but sooo many codes....
MY problem is that in our country we have no experts in arduino, neither android programs..
i tryed to download from speedy share as u suggested , but it was denied , they asked for premium......
can u help , and be an advisor for this project which i couldnt have , plzzz

You have to copy and paste arduino code into arduino IDE and then upload it to the board

You're right about speedyshare - you can no longer download the files for free
I'll try to upload them somewhere else

Here is a link to the files ->
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_PfPoEotOF8WEwyUVhkWnY3b00/edit?usp=drive_web&pli=1

or try this if it doesn't work
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B_PfPoEotOF8N2JwT3RSX011SjQ&usp=sharing

thank u ive downloaded the files , but i couldnt copy them to arduino ide,, it didnt open ,, do u have a way to open those files ,, ar any program to open them ???

i have a bluetooth bee iteadstudio ,, but ive seen some codes from seeedstudio for my bluetooth, is it the same ???
i tryed but it didnt work !
http://tronixstuff.wordpress.com/2012/04/30/arduino-android-and-seeedstudio-bluetooth-bee
how can i try it ??

the code for arduino uve prviosly wrote in the first page about pin 7 coudnt be uploaded to arduino ,, problem is because of COM .. but only 3 COMs 4, 5, 7 also didnt work , access is denied ..
whats the problem?? i am using arduino 1.5.2

First of all you can't have the bluetooth module connected to RX and TX when you upload code - upload code and then connect them.

Secondly, the module you have might be set to different default baud rate - you either have to change it (using AT commands) or modify arduino code to use the module default baud rate.

What's more, make sure that the module is set as master. The datasheet should have some information on that.

Finally, use a USB bluetooth dongle and program such as Putty to try to establish connection with the module and android device. In this way you can manually send and receive commands and see if the module and/or android device works as expected.