LPD8806 RGB LED Strip - Reverse Engineer (with pics) questions/feedback

citlee:

Cranium:
For those interested in the strips I found to be cheaper, it is here:
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/505148128/LPD8806_digital_RGB_colorful_led_strip.html

The description states 12v but after inquiring about this, I found out these are actually a 5v model. The group several types together with different ICs (specifically 6803, 8806, & 2801).

The quote I was provided for 10 meters shipped was $145. I did not buy from them because they wanted a wire transfer or western union. I did not trust this.

If anyone does decide to go this route, please post pictures and user experience. :slight_smile:

Funnily enough, this is the exact same thing that I found a few days ago and have ordered from this supplier, before seeing this thread (I am currently trying to work out how a different strip works in another thread, without much joy). I've already paid them via Western Union, total of $75 for 5 metres and DHL shipping. They claim to be having trouble with my address - which is entirely plausible given my location, but we shall see. I am expecting to hear back from them next week, should have the strip within two weeks. The 8 hour time difference is a bit of a problem when it comes to resolving issues.

Cranium and Citlee, I am in the same boat- I want to buy some from Alibaba but I'm not sure about it. I'd love to hear your experience in particular, Citlee, because if yours come OK I would buy some from that seller! Can you provide a link to the seller/item you paid for? Much appreciated, please keep us posted!