Go Down

Topic: "fatal error: Arduino.h: No such file or directory" Error (Read 23746 times) previous topic - next topic

ArnieBot

I am a bit more inclined to blame your operating system because I believe nasty things can happen with W10 and  I can't see how V1.6.9 can be the problem. If it was, there would surely lots of people complaining by now. And besides, you have found the file anyway. I have never seen this before, and with good reason, but I have the same thing in the same place. It is 8kb.

I believe that in the distant past, this library and several others had to be called in programme, hence my original comment, but it is now automatically incorporated in the compiler or whatever.

Here is a shot in the dark.......

The only differences between your Arduino.h and mine are:
1.  yours is located under Program Files and mine is on the E:/ drive
2. Yours can't be found and mine can.

The reason why my Arduino stuff isn't under programme files is simply because I never put programme files in Program Files. I'm not suggesting you create a partition, but you might try installing Arduino in C:\Arduino instead of \Program Files. I don't know if this is common practice amongst Arduino users, but it actually a requirement with the CAD i use!

You haven't said which OS you use, and yes, it is a shot in the dark...

Thank you very much for all of your support :)

I am currently using Windows 10.

I have just tried installing Arduino where you suggested, unfortunately the error still occurs :'(

Additionally, I have tried installing an older version (1.6.7) but that still produces the same error :(

Thank you,

ArnieBot

OldSteve

When I used the Arduino installer to install Arduino on my Windows 10 machine, it installed in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino".
"Arduino.h" is located in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\cores\arduino".
(Mine's a 64-bit PC.)

So assuming your's is a 32-bit machine, your installation is in the correct place, "C:\Program Files\Arduino".
And also since "Arduino.h" is in the right place on your machine, "C:\Program Files\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\cores\Arduino", it should be found when you compile a sketch.

Before you re-installed the IDE, when uninstalling did you also delete the "Arduino15" folder from "C:\Users\***Your username here***\AppData\Roaming" ?
This has been known to create problems when re-installing the IDE. You could try uninstalling again, delete that folder if it's left behind, then re-installing in the default location.

N.B. You might have been better off posting this thread in the "Installation & Troubleshooting" section, to increase your chances of the right people seeing it. Perhaps you could click on "Report to moderator" and ask to have it moved. (Then you might be lucky and @pert might help out. He's "the man" for these problems.)

Edit: ""C:\Users\***Your username here***\AppData" might not be visible, since "AppData" is a hidden file. To view it, when you open "C:\Users\***Your username here***", click on "View" at the top of the window, then check the box marked "Hidden Items".
Edit2: Oh, and uncheck that box again when you're done, or 'hidden' files will be visible all over the place, including the desktop. :(

Good luck. :)
Please do not PM me for help. I am not a personal consultant.
And others will benefit as well if you post your question publicly on the forums.

ArnieBot

When I used the Arduino installer to install Arduino on my Windows 10 machine, it installed in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino".
"Arduino.h" is located in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\cores\arduino".
(Mine's a 64-bit PC.)

So assuming your's is a 32-bit machine, your installation is in the correct place, "C:\Program Files\Arduino".
And also since "Arduino.h" is in the right place on your machine, "C:\Program Files\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\cores\Arduino", it should be found when you compile a sketch.

Before you re-installed the IDE, when uninstalling did you also delete the "Arduino15" folder from "C:\Users\***Your username here***\AppData\Roaming" ?
This has been known to create problems when re-installing the IDE. You could try uninstalling again, delete that folder if it's left behind, then re-installing in the default location.

N.B. You might have been better off posting this thread in the "Installation & Troubleshooting" section, to increase your chances of the right people seeing it. Perhaps you could click on "Report to moderator" and ask to have it moved. (Then you might be lucky and @pert might help out. He's "the man" for these problems.)

Edit: ""C:\Users\***Your username here***\AppData" might not be visible, since "AppData" is a hidden file. To view it, when you open "C:\Users\***Your username here***", click on "View" at the top of the window, then check the box marked "Hidden Items".
Edit2: Oh, and uncheck that box again when you're done, or 'hidden' files will be visible all over the place, including the desktop. :(

Good luck. :)
Thank you for your suggestions :D

I have just looked in the AppData folder and could not find a folder called 'Arduino15' or any folder relating to Arduino :'(

After re-installing Arduino the error still occurs :(

I will take your suggestion and report to moderator and ask for it to be moved to the "Installation & Troubleshooting" section.

Thank you very much for your advice :D

ArnieBot

OldSteve

Thank you for your suggestions :D

I have just looked in the AppData folder and could not find a folder called 'Arduino15' or any folder relating to Arduino :'(
Not in "...\AppData\Roaming"?
Anyway, that was just a long-shot, but I thought I should mention it. That folder definitely exists on the earlier versions of the IDE, at least. I'm using V1.6.5 and "Arduino15" exists on my machine. Maybe V1.6.9 puts it somewhere else, or doesn't use it any more.
And others will benefit as well if you post your question publicly on the forums.

ArnieBot

Not in "...\AppData\Roaming"?
Anyway, that was just a long-shot, but I thought I should mention it. That folder definitely exists on the earlier versions of the IDE, at least. I'm using V1.6.5 and "Arduino15" exists on my machine.
Thank you for your response :)

Unfortunately, it is not in "...\AppData\Roaming" either :'(

I am currently running V1.6.9 if that helps?

Thanks,

ArnieBot

OldSteve

Thank you for your response :)

Unfortunately, it is not in "...\AppData\Roaming" either :'(

I am currently running V1.6.9 if that helps?

Thanks,
ArnieBot
Yep, I read earlier that you're using V1.6.9. You could do a search of your hard drive to see if the "Arduino15" folder exists anywhere, then if it does, you could then uninstall Arduino, delete the "Arduino15" folder and re-install, hoping for the best.
Note that I put "could" in italics above. It might also be better to hang on for now and see if you get any suggestions from those more knowledgeable than me. While the above process can't hurt anything, it might not solve your problem either.
Someone else might come along with exactly the right fix. (Fingers crossed.)

ArnieBot

Yep, I read earlier that you're using V1.6.9. You could do a search of your hard drive to see if the "Arduino15" folder exists anywhere, then if it does, you could then uninstall Arduino, delete the "Arduino15" folder and re-install, hoping for the best.
Note that I put "could" in italics above. It might also be better to hang on for now and see if you get any suggestions from those more knowledgeable than me. While the above process can't hurt anything, it might not solve your problem either.
Someone else might come along with exactly the right fix. (Fingers crossed.)
Thank you for the suggestion :)

I will have a search for the folder and see if exists, but will hold fire on deleting it :)

Thank you for all of your help :)

ArnieBot

OldSteve

I will have a search for the folder and see if exists, but will hold fire on deleting it :)

Thank you for all of your help :)

ArnieBot
Even if you do find it, only delete it if you're uninstalling/reinstalling the IDE, and do it after uninstallation.
Don't delete it otherwise, or you could make things worse.

Good luck.

ArnieBot

Even if you do find it, only delete it if you're uninstalling/reinstalling the IDE, and do it after uninstallation.
Don't delete it otherwise, or you could make things worse.

Good luck.
Thank you for the advice :)

I will take that on board before I delete it (if I find it) - however a search of my C drive has not located a folder called 'Arduino15'  :'(

Thank you,

ArnieBot

OldSteve

Just as a temporary workaround you could try explicitly including "Arduino.h" in your sketch with it's full path:-
(This is the exact path for your 'Arduino.h' on your machine. Just copy and paste at the top of the "Blink" sketch and try compiling.)
Code: [Select]
#include "C:\Program Files\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\cores\Arduino\Arduino.h"
Even if this works, it's definitely not the real fix for the problem.

ArnieBot

Just as a temporary workaround you could try explicitly including "Arduino.h" in your sketch with it's full path:-
(This is the exact path for your 'Arduino.h' on your machine. Just copy and paste at the top of the "Blink" sketch and try compiling.)
Code: [Select]
#include "C:\Program Files\Arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\cores\Arduino\Arduino.h"
Even if this works, it's definitely not the real fix for the problem.
Ok, I will keep that in mind :)

Thank you,

ArnieBot

OldSteve

Ok, I will keep that in mind :)

Thank you,
ArnieBot
You're not going to try it now? Keeping it in mind won't achieve much. :D
It only takes a couple of minutes to find out if it works.

ArnieBot

You're not going to try it now? Keeping it in mind won't achieve much. :D
It only takes a couple of minutes to find out if it works.
Apologies, I misread your previous post :)

I just tried what you suggested, unfortunately it still produces the error :'(

ArnieBot

OldSteve

Apologies, I misread your previous post :)

I just tried what you suggested, unfortunately it still produces the error :'(

ArnieBot
No worries.
"Arduino.h" must be needed by a file that's compiled before the sketch's *.ino file. That's the only way that line could fail.
Unfortunately, I'm all out of ideas at this point. Everything points to an incorrect installation of Arduino, such that it doesn't know where to find "Arduino.h".
I don't know what else to suggest.

If no one else comes along to help, as a last resort you could try uninstalling then installing an even earlier version of the IDE. I noticed that you tried V1.6.7, but that's one of the not-so-stable versions. You could try V1.6.5. Prior to V1.6.9, it was the last truly stable version. (I'm using V1.6.5 with Windows 10, and have had no problems.)

Having said that, I'll have to leave it with you, I'm afraid. I'll keep monitoring this thread in case someone, maybe @pert, comes up with a solution. Then I'll know what to say the next time someone has this problem.
Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

ArnieBot

No worries.
"Arduino.h" must be needed by a file that's compiled before the sketch's *.ino file. That's the only way that line could fail.
Unfortunately, I'm all out of ideas at this point. Everything points to an incorrect installation of Arduino, such that it doesn't know where to find "Arduino.h".
I don't know what else to suggest.

If no one else comes along to help, as a last resort you could try uninstalling then installing an even earlier version of the IDE. I noticed that you tried V1.6.7, but that's one of the not-so-stable versions. You could try V1.6.5. Prior to V1.6.9, it was the last truly stable version. (I'm using V1.6.5 with Windows 10, and have had no problems.)

Having said that, I'll have to leave it with you, I'm afraid. I'll keep monitoring this thread in case someone, maybe @pert, comes up with a solution. Then I'll know what to say the next time someone has this problem.
Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
I will give an older version a go :)

Thank you very much for all of the suggestions and support that you have given me :D

ArnieBot

Go Up