Diabetic Blood Glucose Meter

Hi,

I am new to the world or Arduino just got mine and done a few simple examples, i am a software engineer by trade and wanted to know if anyone know if it is possible to try and read the data off a blood glucose meter? My wife is type 1 and i know her blood meter stores the values on the device and can be plugged into a pc over what look like a serial port to upload her results.

Where would i start looking into trying to read the stored results?

Regards,

PhantomUK

First. start to see if the USB connection is really a Serial Port (in device manager I guess)
If you could add a software serial sniffer to see the datastreams and try to reverse engineer the bytes to data.

If that all works it is time to see if an Arduino can do this task automagically :wink:

my 2 cents

Thanks for the info, managed to get the protocol documents which explain how to send / recv data from the device 8) Although whats unusual is you cant send the commands directly to the device but instead have to write them to a txt file which you send to the device using hyperterminal.

Am sure i will be back here with plenty of questions when i get round to iterfacing with the meter.

nstead have to write them to a txt file which you send to the device using hyperterminal.

(odd name for a terminal in the context of diabetes, if you have a hyper it is not so good IIRC)

more seriously - Sounds strange to me, as the bytes are still send over serial. The only thing I can imagine is that there is some timing issue between bytes, or there is a specific handshake like xmodem or zmodem ???

Do you have a link to the datasheets?