RFID just won't read!

Hi i'm new to the forums and i desperately need you help. i've lost so much sleep over this simple little project.
I have a Parralax RFID reader connected to my arduino duemilanove.

I am just trying to get a door switch and RGB LED to light up when i scan a card. it won't read the card at all it seems because i don't see a light light up.
Also, when i told the arduino to Serial.print the tag it was reading it just kept reading
on and on and on.

PLEASE help me.

Here is my code

void setup () {
  Serial.begin(2400);
  pinMode(2, INPUT);

Serial.begin(2400);
  pinMode(3,OUTPUT);
}

int RFIDValue = digitalRead(2);  //the readout of pin 2 is the RFID tag number
int Tag1 = '0F03040DE4'; // add intergers for more tag numbers  make sure to include new tag in RFID 'LOOP' value
int Tag2 = '0415D8B304';

void loop(){ // check Tag Numbers 
   if ((RFIDValue == Tag1) || (RFIDValue == Tag2))
   {
   unlock();  
   }
   else if (RFIDValue == 1){
   Readylight(); 
   }
   else{
   Locklight();
   }
}

void unlock(){
  digitalWrite(9, HIGH); // Unlock signal to door
  digitalWrite(4,HIGH);  // Light the Green LED
  digitalWrite(13,HIGH); // Sound beep for confirming Tag is Read 
  delay(3000); 
}
void Locklight(){
  digitalWrite(5, HIGH); //Turn RED LED pin on
  digitalWrite(13,HIGH); //Sound beep for confirming Tag is Read
  delay(3000);
}
void Readylight(){
  digitalWrite(6,HIGH);  //Blue ready light until tag is read
}

I have a Parralax RFID reader connected to my arduino duemilanove.

int RFIDValue = digitalRead(2);  //the readout of pin 2 is the RFID tag number

This is NOT even close to how to read the tag.

A little time spent with google would be a good thing.

If only this were the case and reading RFIDs were this simple... But he is right. A little time with Google will go along way. Not only with this question, but you will also learn of places and resources that will be able to help you. I got my Arduino less than 10 days ago and got it up and running in my first night. I didn't have the Parallax RFID reader, but the ID-20 from Innovation. There are many more resources for the Parallax Reader. A few great sites that may help you out to get it running is Arduino.cc itself, or a site like Instructables.com.

If that's a true serial interface you'll also need a serial driver. There are a few companies that make them, sparkfun always has them in stock.

Thanks for your help guys. i've been googling my ass off for a while. everyone's code is different as to how to read the tag and i'm just trying to simplify the code. everyone else is doing alot more than just checking a tag like i am so its hard to adapt someones else's code. Do you perhaps know of how to get the readout of the RFID reader? i mean the parallax LED turns red like its ready to scan. i've even read half a book on javascript coding which i found out yesterday i should have been reading C programming but its pretty similar so not a total waste. i need a point in the right direction :~

Do you perhaps know of how to get the readout of the RFID reader?

The code to actually read the tag is pretty consistent. What to do with the data read from the tag is where the variation occurs.

Pick one of the examples you've seen, and post it here. We can explain what each part does, so you will know what you can leave out, if you want to.

This is some code i pulled from the Arduino.cc website on how to use it and print the tag and i modified it to try and do what i want it to. although i have no luck whatsoever getting it to do anything such as print (good tag) or something after it has successfully scanned the "goodcode"

//Sout pin is connected to 1 and enable pin is connected to pin 3 th OUTPUT pin. 

int  val = 0; 
char code[10]; 
int bytesread = 0; 
const int goodcode = '0F03040DE4';
int RFIDstate = 0;
void setup() { 

Serial.begin(2400); // RFID reader SOUT pin connected to Serial RX pin at 2400bps 
pinMode(3,OUTPUT);   // Set digital pin 3 as OUTPUT to connect it to the RFID /ENABLE pin 
digitalWrite(3, LOW);                  // Activate the RFID reader
pinMode(4,LOW);
}  

void loop() { 

if(Serial.available() > 0) {          // if data available from reader 
    if((val = Serial.read()) == 10) {   // check for header 
      bytesread = 0; 
      while(bytesread<10) {              // read 10 digit code 
        if( Serial.available() > 0) { 
          val = Serial.read(1);
         if (val == goodcode){
        digitalWrite(4,HIGH); 
         }
          if((val == 10)||(val == 13)) { // if header or stop bytes before the 10 digit reading 
            break;                       // stop reading 
          } 
          code[bytesread] = val;         // add the digit           
          bytesread++;                   // ready to read next digit  
        } 
      } 
      if(bytesread == 10) {              // if 10 digit read is complete 
        Serial.print("TAG code is: ");   // possibly a good TAG 
        Serial.println(code);
      }

bytesread = 0; 
           delay(500);                       // wait for a second 
    } 
  } 
} 

// extra stuff
// digitalWrite(2, HIGH);             // deactivate RFID reader
          val = Serial.read(1);

Does this even compile? The read method does not take any arguments.

const int goodcode = '0F03040DE4';

Int? That value is not an int. Try:

const char goodcode[] = "0F03040DE4";

Notice the double quote, not single quote, delimiters for a string of characters. Notice that goodcode is an array, not a scalar.

if (val == goodcode){
        digitalWrite(4,HIGH); 
         }

This will never be true. You have read one character of a 10 character tag. Of course it will not be equal to the whole tag.

Does this:

if(bytesread == 10) {              // if 10 digit read is complete 
        Serial.print("TAG code is: ");   // possibly a good TAG 
        Serial.println(code);
      }

result in data in the serial monitor?
If so, add some code to it:
if(bytesread == 10) { // if 10 digit read is complete
Serial.print("TAG code is: "); // possibly a good TAG
Serial.println(code);
if(strcmp(code, goodcode) == 0) // Do the tags match?
{
Serial.println("The scanned tag is the right one");
}
}

delay(500);                       // wait for a second

500 milliseconds is not a second. The purpose of this statement is pretty obvious. The comment contributes nothing to understanding what the code is doing.

Sorry lol the serial.read(1) was a quick change i made in desperateness. i changed it back to no parameters.
also the 500 ms delay was there from Arduino.cc as well as the comment i'll try out that extra code you added. i've never seen that strcmp command.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Thanks alot for working with me

I just found another person on this forum who did exactly what i want to do! i'm going to go home today and let you know if it works.