Go Down

Topic: Konig Weather station and arduino RF (Read 363 times) previous topic - next topic

Bend94

Hi,

My project is to decode my KONIG Weather Station KN-WS600 with Arduino and a cheap RF receiver
in order to read wind , temp, humidity

I bought a low cost RF Receiver and Transmiter and plug it on my arduino

do you know what kind of code could be use to read my konig weather device ?

Regards

Paul_KD7HB

Before worrying about code, do you know the 433MHz frequencies the weather station transmits on? The manual you didn't provide a link to states the unit has two possible channels and if you add a rain gauge, it uses a third. I guess the channels are discrete frequencies somewhere around 433 MHz. Will your receiver actually receive one of those frequencies?

Weather stations seem to use various coded modulation methods. Is your receiver compatible with the method used by the weather station?

What is the purpose of the transmitter you bought?

Paul

Bend94

Hi Paul

Thanks for your reply.
Yes you are right i am to much in a hurry... !

The frequency is 433MHz for the weather station.

My weather station is this one : http://sec.inshop.hu/hasznalatik/inshop/117139_1.pdf
with a rain gauge and a wind sensor

My receiver is this one :
http://arduinobasics.blogspot.fr/2014/06/433-mhz-rf-module-with-arduino-tutorial.html

My receiver is compatible with 315,330,433Mhz frequency

How to know if my receiver is compatible with the method used by the weather station?

The transmitter was provide with the receiver
Regards

Paul_KD7HB

Hi Paul

Thanks for your reply.
Yes you are right i am to much in a hurry... !

The frequency is 433MHz for the weather station.

---------------------------------------------------

Look at this chart of the actual frequencies that may be used by your weather station and by your receiver. Unless you get the actual channels to match up you will not have much success. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LPD433

---------------------------------------------------

My weather station is this one : http://sec.inshop.hu/hasznalatik/inshop/117139_1.pdf
with a rain gauge and a wind sensor

My receiver is this one :
http://arduinobasics.blogspot.fr/2014/06/433-mhz-rf-module-with-arduino-tutorial.html

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The receiver and transmitter pair you have were factory set to be on the same frequency channel. That channel may or may not be what the weather station is using.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My receiver is compatible with 315,330,433Mhz frequency

How to know if my receiver is compatible with the method used by the weather station?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Only knowable if you have documentation.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The transmitter was provide with the receiver
Regards

Bend94

Hi Paul

Very cool your help
I took a look in the weather station documentation:

"The weather station uses 433 MHz radio signals to send and receive weather data between the monitors and remote sensors. "
"Valid wind speed/direction and Ch-1 temperature/humidity readings appear. "

So regarding your link and if i am right my weather station use Frequency (MHz) 433.075 and Channel 1.

I bought this transmitter and receiver on Amazon :
https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B00G23NW6S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It is specify 433Mhz but no info on the Channel !

Do you know where i can buy a receiver compatible arduino using Frequency (MHz) 433.075 and Channel 1 ?
Or
Do you know if it is possible to buy a RF device that is able to scan all European channels ?

Best Regards

Paul_KD7HB

Hi Paul

Very cool your help
I took a look in the weather station documentation:

"The weather station uses 433 MHz radio signals to send and receive weather data between the monitors and remote sensors. "
"Valid wind speed/direction and Ch-1 temperature/humidity readings appear. "

So regarding your link and if i am right my weather station use Frequency (MHz) 433.075 and Channel 1.

I bought this transmitter and receiver on Amazon :
https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B00G23NW6S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It is specify 433Mhz but no info on the Channel !

Do you know where i can buy a receiver compatible arduino using Frequency (MHz) 433.075 and Channel 1 ?
Or
Do you know if it is possible to buy a RF device that is able to scan all European channels ?

Best Regards
The quickest and easiest RF device is found on Ebay. Search for :ham radio dongle. Pick one that includes an antenna. You will need to download and install free software to use it.

When you get it working, you will be able to look in the 433MHz area and see the signal on a "waterfall" screen and click on the signal to get the exact frequency.

I picked one up, perhaps 3 years ago, and it worked fine. Haven't used it since the new wore off!

These devices were originally designed to allow European TV reception on a computer.

Paul

Bend94

Hi again,

What do you think of this one ?
https://www.amazon.com/RTL-SDR-Blog-RTL2832U-Software-Telescopic/dp/B011HVUEME/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1493143793&sr=8-2&keywords=ham+radio+dongle

May be you can give me the brand and model of your radio dongle ?
What is the name of the Free Software ?

After analysing the signal , frequency and channel with this software , how to transcribe the signal in arduino ? and where to find a transmitter that is able to use the same channel and frequency.?

I also see a post on Arduino speaking of multi channel and using my receiver and transmitter that i bought

http://www.instructables.com/id/RC-Multi-Channel-Arduino-Proportional-Transmitter--1/

What do you think of this article ?
Thanks

Paul_KD7HB

Hi again,

What do you think of this one ?
https://www.amazon.com/RTL-SDR-Blog-RTL2832U-Software-Telescopic/dp/B011HVUEME/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1493143793&sr=8-2&keywords=ham+radio+dongle

May be you can give me the brand and model of your radio dongle ?
What is the name of the Free Software ?

After analysing the signal , frequency and channel with this software , how to transcribe the signal in arduino ? and where to find a transmitter that is able to use the same channel and frequency.?

I also see a post on Arduino speaking of multi channel and using my receiver and transmitter that i bought

http://www.instructables.com/id/RC-Multi-Channel-Arduino-Proportional-Transmitter--1/

What do you think of this article ?
Thanks

Looks like the same one I was looking at on Ebay. I see Amazon also lists a book and I would recommend you get it, also. I followed an article in QST (ham radio) magazine several years ago. The software available is:  free software like SDR#, HDSDR, SDR-Radio, Linrad, GQRX or SDR Touch on Android. Works on Windows, MacOS, Linux, Android and even embedded Linux computers like the Raspberry Pi. I used SDR# (AKA SDR sharp).

The link you gave is a good article if you realize the "channel" they are referring to is a logical channel. That way the receiver knows what the accompanying data refers to. They still have to but the transmitter and receiver together to get them to both be on the same physical operating frequency.

My dongle is in a drawer at home. I am at my place of business, right now.

Paul

Bend94

Hi-again,

Thanks a lots for all your explanations!
Yesterday evening, i followed "youtube" video on SDR-Radio to look in the 433 Mhz area.
Now i understand what you called "waterflow".

I saw that people record a wav file with SDR and then used audacity to determine 0 and 1 bit.
My question, is now on the final step. If i know that my weather station speak on 433Mhz Channel 1, that is to say 433.075Mhz (following your wikipedia link)

How can i read this 433.075Mhz with a raspberry-pi or arduino ?

What kind of RFComponent do i have to wire on my arduino or raspberry ?

Is a 433Mhz cheap receiver (like the one i bought) is able to read from channel 1 (433.075Mhz) to channel 37 (433.975Mhz) ?

Thanks a lot
Regards

Paul_KD7HB

Hi-again,

Thanks a lots for all your explanations!
Yesterday evening, i followed "youtube" video on SDR-Radio to look in the 433 Mhz area.
Now i understand what you called "waterflow".

I saw that people record a wav file with SDR and then used audacity to determine 0 and 1 bit.
My question, is now on the final step. If i know that my weather station speak on 433Mhz Channel 1, that is to say 433.075Mhz (following your wikipedia link)

How can i read this 433.075Mhz with a raspberry-pi or arduino ?

What kind of RFComponent do i have to wire on my arduino or raspberry ?

Is a 433Mhz cheap receiver (like the one i bought) is able to read from channel 1 (433.075Mhz) to channel 37 (433.975Mhz) ?

Thanks a lot
Regards

You mean "waterfall". Good that you are able to visually see what the SDR dongle and a PC can do.

The next step is to find a receiver that is DOCUMENTED to be centered on channel 1. Cheap receivers may be able to receiver over a broad range of channels. Receiving poorly on all of them. You want to find one that is centered on channel 1. Some receivers may have the ability to be slightly tuned manually to channel 1. You will have to be sure that is possible.

What you are doing is called "reverse engineering". It is much more difficult than  engineering a product in the first place.

To make things more complicated, you will need to determine the modulation scheme of the weather station. That refers to how the digital weather information is added to the channel 1 RF signal. Called modulation. The  SDR receiver video you saw may help you determine the modulation scheme.

The receiver you finally get will have a digital output that will connect to one of the digital input pins on your Arduino and then the software there will need to convert the bits to ASCII characters. Perhaps the Arduino serial input code will work.

Without seeing the documentation on your current receiver, there is no way to tell what it is able to receive.

Paul

Bend94

Hi,

Yesterday evening i discover a magic tool called "Yard Stick One" and RFCat software.
It seems very handy. Do you know this Yard Stick One key ?

I wonder what is the best tools in order to decode and reproduce RF between :

-Yard Stick one and RFCAT
or
-SDR Soft and ham radio dongle

?
what do you think ?

Regards 

Paul_KD7HB

Hi,

Yesterday evening i discover a magic tool called "Yard Stick One" and RFCat software.
It seems very handy. Do you know this Yard Stick One key ?

I wonder what is the best tools in order to decode and reproduce RF between :

-Yard Stick one and RFCAT
or
-SDR Soft and ham radio dongle

?
what do you think ?

Regards 

I am not familiar with either of those. Sorry.

Paul

jremington

Apr 28, 2017, 05:26 am Last Edit: Apr 28, 2017, 05:27 am by jremington
If your weather station transmission protocol has not already been decoded (most have been), here is one guide on how to reverse engineer the protocol. There are many others, google "decode weather station remote protocol".

Go Up