Screw Proplem.

Your picture is screwed up? Some context would be useful. The mounting holes in the board can be straightened using a drill bit or a file, if that is all the problem you have.

PaulS, the problem is the mounting hole is too close to the header so the screw head hits it.

Isn't that annoying? You can make it work by filing down a flat spot on the side of the screw head. If you use nylon screws you can cut a piece off with a knife.

I actually did buy one batch of screws with a smaller size head that din't have this problem but all the other ones were too big.

I suppose we just have to be grateful they bothered to add mounting holes at all. So many boards don't have them, it makes it difficult to use them for anything beyond prototyping.

It's not really possible to correct this error because people may rely on those mounting holes always being located in the same place and certainly are relying on the headers being in the same place. I believe the original design of the Arduino didn't have this problem because the SCL and SDA pins were added later and were just able to squeeze in next to the mounting hole. Of course if you would like to create your own version of the board with the mounting hole in a better place you're welcome to do so.

fiko-man:
Board screw hole design is faulty.

Paradox : improvement requires change. But change can introduce errors, so change must be prevented. But then improvement is prevented.

Conclusion: nothing can ever be perfect, only a compromise between what was and what will be.

One solution is to put a nylon spacer under the screw head to elevate it above the header.

Use an insulated washer with a 2-56 screw, maybe a 3mm would work.

It amazes me how mounting holes are given no forethought.

Had to use a much smaller screw with a washer filed flat to one side to get that hole to work at all.

On many of the cloned there is room to "slot" that hole without causing damage too.

PPD at its best.

fiko-man:
We should expect the apple company to produce an arduino-like product.
Simple problems can be settled in this way. :slight_smile:

So it would only run their preinstalled Blink program and you wouldn't be able to program it?

Or do you mean that it will have special style connectors for the pins and will only work with wires that you have to buy from Apple at $60 a piece?

Or do you mean it will only work with overpriced sensors provided by Apple and if they don't make the sensor you need you are SOL because you can't use anything 3rd party?

Delta_G:
So it would only run their preinstalled Blink program and you wouldn't be able to program it?

Or do you mean that it will have special style connectors for the pins and will only work with wires that you have to buy from Apple at $60 a piece?

Or do you mean it will only work with overpriced sensors provided by Apple and if they don't make the sensor you need you are SOL because you can't use anything 3rd party?

Or do you mean that you'd be able to download the IDE for free, but would have to pay $100 per year for the privilege of uploading code you wrote to your Arduino?

fiko-man:
Each product is shaped according to the target volume, unfortunately

This is the 4th time you posted the same thing (deleting the previous post each time). It didn't make sense the first time, now it's just annoying. I guess you're doing this to bump your post but I don't see the point. The community has discussed it. You've been given multiple fixes. Nobody that works for Arduino ever looks at the forum posts in this section so this is as good as it's going to get. Time to move on.

If you really do need that one particular screw then file a flat side on the head.
Job sorted !

fiko-man:
I think we should expect the apple company to produce an arduino-like product.

Then you would get a highly styled Arduino, without screws and a ton of glue, and would not be allowed to run any other program than those provided by Apple(tm).

And it would come in white 8)

CrossRoads:
And it would come in white 8)

Additionally, all inputs/outputs would have been Apple-proprietary and you would need an adapter for everything you want to connect to your A(pple)duino.

Actually this is a huge business opportunity. You could make dozens of dollars selling specialized "Arduscrews".

Something like this?

westfw:
Something like this?

But does it have the Apple or Arduino logo ?

I dunno. They essentially sacraficed the usefulness of the screw hole, to add the I2C pins...