Anti–Chugger Device

Hi one and all. First of all, I would like to thank you for any advice and help that I may receive. I am a second year Interaction Design student doing a module in Experiential Design. I have read halfway through the "Getting started with Arduino" book. I am basically looking for advice on how to start this project, what additional sensors I will need, any shields etc. All i currently have is a breadboard, some LEDS, resistors, and an Arduino board.

My goal is to create an anti chugger device. A chugger is a charity mugger, someone that stops you on the street that asks you for donations to their designated charity. They are often very persistent. Just so you know, this project doesn't take itself too seriously. The idea is that I will be creating a fine art based performance piece.

My device will be targeted at the charity WWF. The WWF charity workers have a structured dialogue that they have to stick to when approaching potential donators. My performance would be based around this dialogue. Below is how I imagine the performance would pan out:

[Chugger] “Hello, is there any chance that I could stop and talk to you for a couple of minutes?”

[/b][/i] “Yes, I would love to stop and talk.”
[Chugger] “Did you know that the number of tigers in the wild is rapidly declining?”
[/b][/i] “I did indeed know this. As a matter of fact, here is a tiger that I rescued earlier!”
[/b][/i] Procures a stuffed cuddly toy tiger from my satchel.
[/b][/i] Strokes the tiger, the tiger then relays an anti-chugger message.
[/b][/i] Triumphantly walks off as the chugger looks extremely confused and upset.

Although this sounds quite fun, I'm not too sure what it is that you are looking to make with the Arduino part.

If you want a talking tiger then the local "build-a-bear" workshop will allow you to record a message that will replay at the press-of-a-paw.

You could recreate a similar thing at around 10 times the price with an arduino and a "wave" type shield, speaker, batteries stuffed tiger etc.

In fairness, you could do much more sophisticated things with the Ardu' setup but I'm not clear on exactly what it is that you want.

One problem with Chuggesr is they are often attractive females that you want to engage with. That's what my son says anyway when he gives them my phone number. He moved out years ago.
Given that the Chugger might not be interested in Tigers it does suggest a large number of things you have to carry around in your satchel.

However, I am not entirely sure what a bunch of flashing LEDs is going to add to the encounter. Assuming in this "performance" your chugger is complicit you could make a fake bomb as all security guards the world over know a bomb has flashing LEDs on it. However, given the sense of humor and intelligence level of all security guards the world over you better not.

If your chugger is not complicit then I would recommend an iPad chocked full of all sorts of pictures you could use in the deflection of their enthusiasm, but I suspect in the end, just like trying to argue with door to door Christian evangelists, it is not worth it.

[Chugger] “Hello, is there any chance that I could stop and talk to you for a couple of minutes?”

“No thanks."

They call on the phone and I ask the Magic Legal Question: "What percent of the money your organization collected last year went to the ones you collected for?"

Legally since way back the requirement is 5%. That's right, when you put quarters in a card or coins in a box, about 1 dollar in 20 actually goes to who or whatever you think you're helping. The rest goes to the collectors tax free.

So when they proudly tell me 10%, I shower them with shame until they hang up. And if they don't answer or give a false answer and I got their name and organization, I -can- take them to court and supposed can get $500 for doing that.

When people can own nice apartments in Manhattan +and+ a house in the country on 6-figure salaries by heading a -charity- organization then something ain't right!

If they started bugging me on the streets then I'd carry a donation box and go John Belushi on them.

Although this sounds quite fun, I'm not too sure what it is that you are looking to make with the Arduino part.

If you want a talking tiger then the local "build-a-bear" workshop will allow you to record a message that will replay at the press-of-a-paw.

You could recreate a similar thing at around 10 times the price with an arduino and a "wave" type shield, speaker, batteries stuffed tiger etc.

In fairness, you could do much more sophisticated things with the Ardu' setup but I'm not clear on exactly what it is that you want.

Thanks for your reply. In essence, what I will be creating is pretty much a glorified build-a-bear. To activate the message, I will be using a pressure sensor (unless you recommend another type of sensor?) . As you stroke the cuddly toy, the message will be relayed. I realise that this will be an expensive project for what I am creating. I'm sure however that I will be using the parts again at a later date for other projects. I deliberately chose to create something simple as I am new to the whole arduino scene.

That's what my son says anyway when he gives them my phone number

This made me laugh! :slight_smile: The Chuggers are about 50/50 girls and guys.

“No thanks."
[/quote]
Thanks for your reply, however this does not help me.

They call on the phone and I ask the Magic Legal Question: "What percent of the money your organization collected last year went to the ones you collected for?"

Legally since way back the requirement is 5%. That's right, when you put quarters in a card or coins in a box, about 1 dollar in 20 actually goes to who or whatever you think you're helping. The rest goes to the collectors tax free.

So when they proudly tell me 10%, I shower them with shame until they hang up. And if they don't answer or give a false answer and I got their name and organization, I -can- take them to court and supposed can get $500 for doing that.

When people can own nice apartments in Manhattan +and+ a house in the country on 6-figure salaries by heading a -charity- organization then something ain't right!

If they started bugging me on the streets then I'd carry a donation box and go John Belushi on them.

What pisses me off with the chuggers in newcastle is that they aren't volunteers and they pretty much follow you until you stop and tell them that you are not interested. I admit that my solution to this problem is not necessarily a serious one, its just a fun project for me to get to know arduino better. Its interesting what you said about the amount of money that actually goes to the collectors, especially with the whole KONY 2012 situation atm.

Mafa

They're just upscale bums, and they know it. Just make sure they know that you do too.

Meh,

Edited and just decided no point. Bottom line.. many charities have little or nothing to do with the people they are supposed to be helping, and everything to with either tax loopholes or a way for the uber-wealthy to pat themselves on the back for being rich...

Soooo please could someone help me compile a shopping list for this project? I would be most grateful. What I have so far:

• Arduino Uno Board
  • Breadboard
  • 5v resistors (10 of them)
  • LEDS
  • cable

How about something with a voice recorder in it and an easy to get to replay button? You can hold the 'bear' in one hand with a finger able to get to the button and when you squeeze the bear's paw with one hand (stage magic misdirection, they watch the hand that moves to apparent purpose) you activate the playback with the other. What else... batteries and a speaker if the voice recorder only has a headphone jack.

Then you don't have to do mpeg or any of that and save months of frustration and a lot of money.

When I first saw the tittle to this thread I thought it had to do with beer drinking-did not know it was the term for a charity mugger.

On another site I saw this and thought it might give the OP a little more ammo.

Here is the link to the thread.

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?138338-Silence-Gun-Strange-weapon-of-the-future-immediately-quiets-you...

justone:
On another site I saw this and thought it might give the OP a little more ammo.

Here is the link to the thread.

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?138338-Silence-Gun-Strange-weapon-of-the-future-immediately-quiets-you...

Thanks for the link, good for my design scrapbook which is part of my project. Im thinking now of a device that triggers a sound clip when it detects noise. To activate the device, you have to have a button held down. (I'm thinking this could be concealed in the tiger's paw.) Please can I get some links to the parts I will need to order. This would help me immensely. Need them ordered by the end of this week ya see.

Regards,

Mafa

(bump)

really need to get these parts ordered.