Melexis SMBus IR Thermometer - NFI

Hello,

I have purchased one of these sensors and with the help of this thread I was able to get it up and running rather quickly. Per the data sheet, changing the read address from 0x007 to 0x006 will give you the temperature of the internal device (Ta). This works great.

I'm using this sensor to measure the temperature of a steel surface, which has an emissivity of 0.35. These sensors are set at a default emissivity of 1.0. This is giving me large errors in measuring my surface.

The data sheet lists the EEPROM address for several objects that can be customized, page 11. The 0x004 address corresponds to the emissivity constant. Equal to 65535 * E.

My question is, how do I access the EEPROM on this device? Page 18 of the data sheet lists some Opcode's for certain commands. (what is an “Opcode” anyway?) 000x xxxx = RAM Access and 001x xxx is EEPROM Access.

I'm confused on how to implement the switch to EEPROM access. Could someone help me out on how to modify the code to read and write to the 0x004 address on the EEPROM?

Thanks for your help!
Steven