Minimum pins for GLCD display

I have a working prototype using a 1280 but want to use a 328p instead so that I can build it on my own PCB. I do not have enough pins though :slight_smile: I know we can use the text LCD displays in 4 bit mode. Is there anything simple that drops the requirement for pins using a GLCD ? It is currently using 13 pins (unless I miscounted). If I can get down to 9 that would be a great help. Every time I search I just get directed to 4bit LCD driving!

Thanks

So why can't you put a 1280 on a PCB?
If you want more IO and want to stay DIP, consider going to the 40 pin 644P or 1284P.

Check the "1284 evaluation" thread, I have layed out duemilanove style cards in both TQFP and DIP.

Someone a while ago used a chip, maybe an SPI or I2C chip that talks to the GLCD. Plus, google "GLCD with shift register". Might find something you can use.

CrossRoads:
So why can't you put a 1280 on a PCB?
If you want more IO and want to stay DIP, consider going to the 40 pin 644P or 1284P.

Check the "1284 evaluation" thread, I have layed out duemilanove style cards in both TQFP and DIP.

I hadn't heard of either of those chips that why ! :slight_smile:

Thanks.... So I can just get a 1284P which I take it is a DIL version of the 1280 then.

Is there a table somewhere that shows a comparison?

www.atmel.com, there may be a comparison table, or do a data sheet comparison.

644/1284 comes in DIP & TQFP, so is not just a DIP version of 1280.

I'd look it up, my internet is reeeallly slow at the moment.

Here you go

CrossRoads:
Here you go
http://www.atmel.com/dyn/products/devices.asp?category_id=163&family_id=607&subfamily_id=760

Thank you very much, I have just ordered 10 of them from Farnell then noticed that the 1284p does not appear in the list (probably why I have not heard of it). If I set it up on a bread board with a 6 pin ICSP header and connect it to the USBTinyISP will I be able to program it that way? I have programmed a number of the 328p with this method but if the 1284p is not listed how do I sort that or is there a list. I have found some old posts which go back to version 11ish where people were having trouble. I will also need to find out how to upload a sketch via the ICSP as well as not sure how that would work.

1284P is the 3rd entry below 1280. How'd you miss it?

Yes, set up pwr/gnd/reset and mosi/miso/sck for programming.
May need 16 MHz xtal and two 22pf caps as well; same as how you'd set up a 328 basically.

Skyjumper has a bunch of recent posts on this as well.

CrossRoads:
1284P is the 3rd entry below 1280. How'd you miss it?

Yes, set up pwr/gnd/reset and mosi/miso/sck for programming.
May need 16 MHz xtal and two 22pf caps as well; same as how you'd set up a 328 basically.

Skyjumper has a bunch of recent posts on this as well.

It doesn't appear under Tools::Boards::xxx ??

There is an entry Tools::Burn Bootloader:xxx ??? but how do you upload a sketch via that method? OR Do I take a normal board and remove the chip then use 6pin to 6pin cable?

I will have a search for Skyjumper, thanks

I was directing you to the datasheet comparison area. 1284 is not officially supported in the IDE.
Skyjumper can help you out for sure.

CrossRoads:
I was directing you to the datasheet comparison area. 1284 is not officially supported in the IDE.
Skyjumper can help you out for sure.

Thanks.

I have found a file containing dozens of new board definitions including the 644p and 1284p which is now installed so it is possible to select the 1284p in the IDE.

Just waiting for the chips to arrive which should be on Monday. Will update with a complete step by step once I get it going and will talk to skywalker to see what help he can give (hopefully ge has already done a step by step for it).

I'm surprised it isn't included as it is a useful version of the chip. Not everyone has the equipment to solder 1280 chips onto their own boards!

Yes, the 1284 DIP seems a great part. Lots of memory, dual serial, lots of IO, nice to work with.

Is there anything simple that drops the requirement for pins using a GLCD ?

There are some nice Graphic LCDs with SPI interface. These displays only need 4 pins:

Oliver

olikraus:

Is there anything simple that drops the requirement for pins using a GLCD ?

There are some nice Graphic LCDs with SPI interface. These displays only need 4 pins:
GitHub - olikraus/dogm128: Automatically exported from code.google.com/p/dogm128

Oliver

Thanks but I need to keep the cost down per build and GLCDs with built in serial interfaces are not cheap :slight_smile:

I have found the stuff for the 1284p so hopefully that should sort matters out.

I found this page regarding the 664p & 1284p, it looks perfect but my ICs are not due until tomorrow so can't check until then.

http://aka47.adsl24.co.uk/serendipity/index.php?/pages/Min644pWarez.html

Just added the text to boards.txt ie:

##############################################################

ADABoot1284P.name=min1284p - stk500v2 loader w/20Mhz ATmega1284p
ADABoot1284P.upload.protocol=stk500v2
ADABoot1284P.upload.maximum_size=126976
ADABoot1284P.upload.speed=115200

ADABoot1284P.bootloader.low_fuses=0xF7
ADABoot1284P.bootloader.high_fuses=0xD8
ADABoot1284P.bootloader.extended_fuses=0xFD
ADABoot1284P.bootloader.path=stk500v2
ADABoot1284P.bootloader.file=stk500boot_v2_mega1284p.hex
ADABoot1284P.bootloader.unlock_bits=0x3F
ADABoot1284P.bootloader.lock_bits=0x0F

ADABoot1284P.build.mcu=atmega1284p
ADABoot1284P.build.f_cpu=20000000L
ADABoot1284P.build.core=arduino
ADABoot1284P.verbose=true

then downloaded the 1284p hex code for the bootloader etc.......

Fingers crossed

Well I have the 1284p chips.
I have one of the chips fitted to a breadboard.
I have an ISPtinyUSB and AVRISP mk II.
I have a firmware for the 1284p
I have the USB driver libusb-0.1.12
if I try to use AVRDUDE I get this fault:

MacbookPro:~ darren$ avrdude -v -patmega1284P -cusbtiny -Pusb -U lock:w:0x3F:m

avrdude: Version 5.10, compiled on Apr 30 2011 at 06:16:16
         Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
         Copyright (c) 2007-2009 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "/usr/local/etc/avrdude.conf"
         User configuration file is "/Users/darren/.avrduderc"
         User configuration file does not exist or is not a regular file, skipping

Using Port                    : usb
         Using Programmer              : usbtiny
avrdude: error: no usb support. Please compile again with libusb installed.
avrdude: programmer operation not supported

avrdude done.  Thank you.

MacbookPro:~ darren$

I have tried to install the USB driver but have had no luck whatsoever!

I have tried to install fink in order to install the USB driver but fink seems to have installed but I cannot run it!

I am having a right nightmare trying to get this to work!

I bought a AVRISP mk II today to try and use that rather than the ISPtinyUSB that I did have and I have also downloaded AVRstudio.

It's not working though.......

On my system i use avrdude to program Arduino Hardware and AVRs directly via AVRISP mk ii without problems.
Its a Ubuntu 10.04 LTS. I installed the avrdude package (with Synaptic).

Oliver

olikraus:
On my system i use avrdude to program Arduino Hardware and AVRs directly via AVRISP mk ii without problems.
Its a Ubuntu 10.04 LTS. I installed the avrdude package (with Synaptic).

Oliver

I am 5 minutes off publishing a complete step by step guide to using the 1284p :slight_smile: