Arduino Project Box on-the-cheap

Just a cheap, simple enclosure I hacked together to help when prototyping:

Nice. Cheap clone tupperware containers also make useful project housing. They come in every size imaginable.

Lefty

These Really Useful Boxes are really nice to work with too, all kinds of sizes, some color variety.
Available at Staples, OfficeMax.
This is a 4L box, aboytr 12.5" x 9" opening,
couple of smaller ones in front

You know what else I just discovered? A Unibit, purchased at Home Depot for other projects, is great for making holes in plastic. Several times I have drilled a pilot hole, and then moved up to a larger drill for a banana plug or other panel mount connector, only to have the larger bit 'grab' and tear up the edge of the hole. The Unibit just went plop-plop-plop thru the different size holes, nice & neat, no grabbing at all. Is my new favorite tool for making round openings!

You know what else I just discovered? A Unibit, purchased at Home Depot for other projects, is great for making holes in plastic.

Also known as "step drills":

/yeah, I know you likely paid more (?) for the Home Depot version...

I bought them last winter, needed to make holes in an AL enclosure for a tube amp.
Didn't have to wait days for shipping & pay shipping costs, big time saver there. Home Depot was on the way to work at the time. Could see what I was getting, no questionable made in China stuff.

Hey CR, what is that glassy looking thing near the center of that chassis, some kind of lighted display indicator, perhaps a fancy power on or off lamp? ;D

Just kidding, being a old fart I remember building stuff that used lots of tubezz. :wink:

Lefty

Anyone can suggest a wooden box for geocaching? I want to put a combination lock to it and arduino inside. The treasure finder will have to do what is told in order to get the combination. I call it a flip or dice box. you treat the box as a dice, you have to sequencially flip the box to make the numbers 1-6 show on top in the sequency told by the arduino, then arduino will release the combination. ;D

Check with your local crafts folks. I am sure they have boxes that would fit the bill nicely.

Didn't have to wait days for shipping & pay shipping costs, big time saver there. Home Depot was on the way to work at the time. Could see what I was getting, no questionable made in China stuff.

We've got Harbor Freight stores all over the Phoenix area (and most of the west coast - and I know they're in a lot of other places as well). I think I pass by two of them on my way to work and back.

I've never had an issue with any of their tools (or drill bits, etc) - other items, yes (I have a solar shed light that -does not- work at all), there's issues, but for me most of their stuff is pretty good; just like anything else out of china - some good, some bad.

:slight_smile:

Wow, I just used their store finder map, didn't realize they were in the Boston area also. Nearest one is about 20 miles west of, about a half hour drive. Multiple Home Depot, Lowes & local hardware stores are all closer. And yet when I wanted a Nibbler, still had to orer online. And then found it didn't work well at all on plastic, so I'm still drilling a bunch of holes & then trimming with razor blade knife for D connector openings.