uno rev3 16u2 firmware flashing with dfu-programmer

I downloaded the file you attached to my desktop and ran the .config from there.

This is how I tried to run what you suggested (I wanted to make sure these were directories as I went along):

Adam-Rolphs-iMac-3:~ adamrolph$ /usr
-bash: /usr: is a directory
Adam-Rolphs-iMac-3:~ adamrolph$ /usr/local
-bash: /usr/local: is a directory
Adam-Rolphs-iMac-3:~ adamrolph$ /usr/local/bin
-bash: /usr/local/bin: is a directory
Adam-Rolphs-iMac-3:~ adamrolph$ /usr/local/bin/dfu-programmer
-bash: /usr/local/bin/dfu-programmer: No such file or directory

Obviously something is wrong there.

But, I took what you said and tried running it from where I think I installed it and this is what I got:

Adam-Rolphs-iMac-3:~ adamrolph$ /Users/adamrolph/Desktop/DFU/dfu_programmer_install/dfu-programmer
-bash: /Users/adamrolph/Desktop/DFU/dfu_programmer_install/dfu-programmer: is a directory
Adam-Rolphs-iMac-3:~ adamrolph$ sudo /Users/adamrolph/Desktop/DFU/dfu_programmer_install/dfu-programmer atmega16u2 erase
sudo: /Users/adamrolph/Desktop/DFU/dfu_programmer_install/dfu-programmer: command not found

I also tried creating a new directory, redownloading the patch you attached, and installing from there, but after I get to the actual dfu-programmer part of the file directory, it's saying the directory I created doesn't exist even though I am copy pasting the directory of the newly downloaded dfu-programmer from the "get info" tab