Sound sensor and varister help for a snore stopping machine...newbie question

Does anyone have experience with this sound sensor? Recommendations For You - DealeXtreme.. I bought two of them and am tring to detect the sound of my snoring to turn on a light to wake/stop my snoring:). Anyway, when I apply 5 volt to the positive and connect the ground two red Led's on the sensor come on. I assume one if to show that the sensor is receiving power and the other is showing the sensor is " hearing" some sound even in a quiet room. I tried turning the small screw to change the sensativity of the microphone but the second led would not turn off.

1. even before I try to get output from the sensor to the arduino shouldn't the light on the sensor flip on and off with some level of noise?????????????

2). How do you adjust the varister on the sensor?? How many turns/ which direction makes it more or less sensativity.

Sorry I know this stuff is really basic but appreciate your help.

Rob

1. even before I try to get output from the sensor to the arduino shouldn't the light on the sensor flip on and off with some level of noise?????????????

This may be a power LED.

How do you adjust the varister on the sensor?? How many turns/ which direction makes it more or less sensativity.

This is a 10 turn POT(resistor). You can either use the AO Analog or the DO digital pins to connect to the Arduino.
My guess is the POT adjusts the trigger point (sound level) that the DO pin toggles at.

the

This sensor has two LED's and both LED's are lighting with the power, ground connected. Even in a quiet environment. I am thinking it is either broken or set to be too sensitive and picking up ambient noise. Can you tell me;

1. Do I turn the screw clockwise or counterclockwise to make the sensor less sensitive?????

2. How do I know when I have reached the screws limit?? Will it stop turning, or just continue to turn. Can I damage it by turning too much??? How do I know, can I use a multimeter on the soldier bumps on back to see it change???

Thanks again,

Rob

From the product description and reviews it has two pins

1)A0 which provides analog voltage proportional to the intensity of sound,
2)D0 which is a digital output and gives a high value when sound is above a threshold. The pot seems to control the threshold value.

Try connecting A0 to an analog input and measure the value. It should change with sound.

Do I turn the screw clockwise or counterclockwise to make the sensor less sensitive?????

I don't have one of these but, try one way then the other. Look at D0 with a voltmeter while you are doing this so you'll know when it toggles. (probably a 10 turn POT)

How do I know when I have reached the screws limit??

You will hear a tick like sound each time you make a full revolution when you are at an end of travel.

Can I damage it by turning too much???

No

How do I know, can I use a multimeter on the soldier bumps on back to see it change???

Measure the resistance between the center POT solder pad and one of the outside pads. (with the power off)

Thank you, thank you,thank you,thank you,thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll try these out and let you know.

Rob