Solar eclipse photos

Here some photos I took of the recent solar eclipse. Not the best shots but it was fun...

Enjoy!

Where did you take these pictures? Too bad I couldn't see the eclispse from where I live! It wasn't a full eclipse from your view, so the corona can't be seen.

Northern California. It is the only time in my lifetime that it it will be visible here.

At what time (in your time zone)?

18:24 PST for the centered shot. (second attachment)

Here are the shadows

What does RPCoyle's picture show?
"Toronto, the place that never sees solar eclipses".
I don't think that I will ever get to see a solar eclipse. But, I think that from where I live, the sun appeared to have a tiny corner missing as it set. center.jpg was taken at 9:24 PM EST (my time zone). center.jpg has a really dark sky, and it was ony 6:24 PM PST from where it was taken! I've seen 2 lunar eclipses.

I'm guessing the shadow of a bush, created by an annular light source nearly 150 million km away.
Or is it 385 thousand km away?
Whatever.

I'm guessing its the moon's shadow split over the horizon. :roll_eyes:

I've seen 2 lunar eclipses.

That reminds me. I have a couple of shots of the 2010 lunar eclipse.

Also I should clarify; the composite solar shot (above) was a feeble attempt at HDR. Impossible with an infinite dynamic range like that!

Sorry... I should have been more specific. It is the shadow cast on the west wall of my house by an apple tree. The overlapping leaves on the apple tree form many "pin hole cameras" and project multiple images of the eclipse on the wall. I can see how primitive people would be freaked out. Even solid shadows like my own image, had weird, fuzzy outlines around the edges.

center.jpg has a really dark sky

The sky wasn't that dark to the naked eye. I had to use an 8x neutral density filter and -5 exposure compensation to make the ring visible in the photo.

Great photos!

I took some too - from the Bay Area Maker Faire. Not the full deal you got further north, but still quite impressive to experience.

That's what shadows look like during an eclipse.

Rob

How did you take the photos (without burning your eyes 8))

I've tried to see the eclipse in germany in 1999, but I got wet - rainy, clouds, and no sun :()

best regards
Andreas

How did you take the photos (without burning your eyes)

I used a DSLR with a neutral density filter, and I didn't look too long!