Quesiton about how to not block processor execution when programming

Does that tell us anything about how they DO light up OR how you INTENDED for them to light up? Personally, I don't think so.

I'll be as specific as I can, so that you -personally- will understand. I'll start with the simplest part: my circuit. All I have is 3 diodes wired in series to 3 different pins on my board. Now on to the code. As I hope you can see from what I posted, the two LEDs are supposed to light up at 1 second intervals. No matter what bugs there may be in my code, what is certain is that something should change each second.

Well, something DOES change each second. I tried outputting the which LED's were on during each second. I'm currently watching the serial monitor now. There is no pattern. The diodes sometimes blink in 1 second intervals, but never together. Either one goes off and the other comes on, or one stays on while the other comes on.

You've never met the println() method?

Ah yes that is what I was looking for, thank you - but that's really beside the point.

Putting every { on a new line, and using Tools + Auto Format would make your code more readable.

Sure, I'm just more used to it the other way. Here's how it looks now:

int blue = 2;
int white = 3;
int red = 5;

long previousMillis = 0;

void setup()
{
  pinMode(2, OUTPUT);
  pinMode(3, OUTPUT);
  pinMode(5, OUTPUT);
}

void loop() 
{
  unsigned long time = millis();
  myBlink(red, 3000);
  myBlink(blue, 3000);
  if (digitalRead(red)==HIGH && digitalRead(blue)==HIGH){  //this part works quite well
    digitalWrite(white, HIGH);
  }
  else 
  {
    digitalWrite(white, LOW);
  }

}

int myBlink(int led, int interval)
{    //it's this function that I'm struggling with
  unsigned long currentMillis = millis(); // I feel as if this should work
  int ledState = digitalRead(led);
  if (currentMillis - previousMillis > interval) 
  {
    previousMillis = currentMillis;
    Serial.print(previousMillis);
    Serial.print("\n");
    if (ledState == LOW)
    {
      ledState = HIGH;
    }
    else
    {
      ledState = LOW;
    }