BBEdit v10 and syntax highlighting

Hi all,

I would like to use BBEdit as a code editor.
However, I cannot find how to add Arduino syntax highlighting and completion (the reason why I wanted to use BBEdit in the first place...)

Has anyone ever pulled that off?

--edit: rephrase

However, I cannot find how to add Processing syntax highlighting and completion

Are you in the habit of asking Arduino questions on the Processing forum, too? What exactly is your Arduino issue?

Depending upon your version of BBEdit the following should be used as a rough guide.

BBEdit->Preferences

Select "Languages" from the list on the left.

Click the '+' under the "Custom Extension Mappings" pane.

Select the "Suffix" side of the new entry and enter extension used by your version the Arduino IDE.

Click on the "Languages" side and select "C++" form the pop-up menu.

You should be good to go!

Isn't Processing Java?

PaulS:

However, I cannot find how to add Processing syntax highlighting and completion

Are you in the habit of asking Arduino questions on the Processing forum, too? What exactly is your Arduino issue?

Processing is the language Arduino is using, is it not?

lloyddean:
Depending upon your version of BBEdit the following should be used as a rough guide.

BBEdit->Preferences

Select "Languages" from the list on the left.

Click the '+' under the "Custom Extension Mappings" pane.

Select the "Suffix" side of the new entry and enter extension used by your version the Arduino IDE.

Click on the "Languages" side and select "C++" form the pop-up menu.

You should be good to go!

Thanks but when doing this, instructions like pinMode, Serial.begin etc are not recognised and highlighted. This is very useful to read the code and this is what I am trying to accomplish in BBEdit.

No. The Arduino IDE is based on the Processing IDE. Processing (the language) is Java, the Arduino language is C/C++.

dxw00d:

No. The Arduino IDE is based on the Processing IDE. Processing (the language) is Java, the Arduino language is C/C++.

My bad. So how to have BBEdit display Arduino's language like in the IDE where functions and libraries are highlighted?

Yes I saw this before but there is no explanation whatsoever regarding how to install it?

I guess I would install those files mentioned on page 360 of this document:
http://pine.barebones.com/manual/BBEdit_10_User_Manual.pdf

Copying the .plist files to the directory mentioned in the doc doesn't cut it :frowning:

I've just downloaded BBEdit, and the files from github. I created a Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support/BBEdit/Language Modules directory and copied the github files to it. Started BBEdit and opened a .pde file and the highlighting was working. As I use IDE 1.0, I changed the file suffix line to

<key>BBLMLanguageSuffix</key>
        <string>.ino</string>

and it now works for ino files instead.

Thanks, this method worked. I initially created the directory in my user folder not on the Macintosh HD