Go Down

Topic: GSM "sleep" behaviour ? (Read 94 times) previous topic - next topic

jyaeger

I'm unclear and can find no documentation to support my supposition, but I get the impression that the GSM seems to go to sleep if not accessed over a period of time.

I do not know if this is true.  I also do not know what time parameters might be in play here.

Can anyone point me to any documentation that can clarify what the GSM module does when it is not accessed over the course of several hours or days?

FYI - I'm constructing a GSM connected animal feeder, and cannot seem to get the MKR GSM1400 to operate much past an hour or so.

Thanks in advance!

sandeepmistry

Hi @jyaeger,

Do you have a battery connected to the board?

Maybe you can share the sketch you are using too.

jyaeger

Feb 15, 2018, 03:54 pm Last Edit: Feb 16, 2018, 10:04 am by jyaeger
Hi @jyaeger,

Do you have a battery connected to the board?

Maybe you can share the sketch you are using too.
Yes I have a 3.7v 3400mah connected thru a lipo rider that has 2 x 5v solar panels (in parallel).  The 1400 is connected to the lipo rider by way of the usb. Very similar to the photo at the bottom of the seeed wiki page. (wiki.seeed.cc/Lipo_Rider_V1.3/).

I've not started my sketch. I have created the outdoor physical contraption, and am only running the blink sketch, whilst monitoring the up-time throughout a day/night period - trying to make sure its going to charge and operate as intended.  Also, I have run several of the example sketches so as to start understanding the gsm capabilities.  I have not hooked up a sensor yet.

To be clearer - my concerns are two fold and not necessary related to one another.

1) Does the gsm module "sleep" automatically after a predetermined time period OR must one use gsmAccess.shutdown() method?  I would hope something like this is possible to conserve power when not messaging.

2) Am I connecting my power scheme correctly?  What are the JST connectors on the 1400 for?  should I be connecting to the header directly? Should the Lipo rider be abandoned in favour of any onboard charge controller?

I've searched for documentation of similar projects that I could reference, but there are not all too many yet using the 1400 in a manner that I intend (or at least I haven't found them).

Go Up