programming attiny 85 error

Hi all,

i tried to program an attiny85 20mhz, and i receive the error message :

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00

I followed this tutorial :

http://hlt.media.mit.edu/?p=1695

Can you help me ?

Hi

Reading the linked tutorial i only see support for the 1MHz or 8MHz internal clock sources on the ATTiny85. What instructions were you reading for 20MHz?

The arduino-tiny cores support 16MHz with an external crystal. I've read discussions of driving them faster but cannot recall whether arduino code was being used.

Geoff

laurentjeuxlille:
i tried to program an attiny85 20mhz, and i receive the error message :

What did you do, exactly?

And what are you using to do it?

I bought the attiny85 20mhz, tried to program them by following exactly the tutorial... and i have the error message...

Oh, sorry my mistake.

That error means there is no response coming back from the ATTiny. Do you have the resistor or capacitor in place (depending on what arduino you are programming with)?

Did you get past the 'burning the boot loader' step okay, or is that where you are getting the error?

Geoff

laurentjeuxlille:
I bought the attiny85 20mhz, tried to program them by following exactly the tutorial... and i have the error message...

What Arduino did you use?

Which version of Arduino IDE do you use. There has been some problem with ArduinoISP in version 1.00.

You could try this modified version to see if it helps:

Arduino translated to AVR? - #40 by Coding_Badly - Programming Questions - Arduino Forum reply #39

strykeroz:
Oh, sorry my mistake.

That error means there is no response coming back from the ATTiny. Do you have the resistor or capacitor in place (depending on what arduino you are programming with)?

Did you get past the 'burning the boot loader' step okay, or is that where you are getting the error?

Geoff

i have a capacitor in place 10 uf and 22 uf, i tried both, burning bootloader doesnt work...

Pins 7, 8, and 9 output the status of ArduinoISP; use a ~500R resistor and an LED and they will flash based on the ISP status. Pin 9 is the heartbeat LED and will pulsate so you know ArduinoISP is running; that will verify that your caps are working to disable the reset.

http://www.forkrobotics.com/2012/04/run-arduino-code-on-an-attiny/

laurentjeuxlille:
I bought the attiny85 20mhz, tried to program them by following exactly the tutorial...

Well...obviously you didn't. You did something differently.

If you don't start telling us what you did then we can't help you.

strykeroz:
The arduino-tiny cores support 16MHz with an external crystal. I've read discussions of driving them faster but cannot recall whether arduino code was being used.

The attiny85 can go up to 16MHz without an external xtal. The maximum 20MHz requires an external xtal, though.

Its just a matter of selecting the clocking fuse values appropriately. I run my attiny85 chips routinely at 16MHz, sometimes (more often than not, actually) even at 3.3V (shock horror! :wink: )

As long as the arduino core files are compiled for the 16MHz clock option, the timing functions will work correctly.

pico:
The attiny85 can go up to 16MHz without an external xtal. The maximum 20MHz requires an external xtal, though.

Its just a matter of selecting the clocking fuse values appropriately. I run my attiny85 chips routinely at 16MHz, sometimes (more often than not, actually) even at 3.3V (shock horror! :wink: )

Thanks for setting me straight on that. I just fired up the IDE and sure enough, there's the internal 16MHz option just above the one I typically choose. All this time I'd thought that was an external flavour...I'm going to use male pattern blindness as my excuse.

Thanks again :slight_smile:
Geoff