Serial Communication and Blocking vs NonBlocking Functions

The AccelStepper::run() method returns true when the stepper gets where it was told to go. You are exiting the while loop as soon as one of the steppers is NOT yet where it was told to go. So, it's not surprising that you can't figure out which motor is where it is supposed to be.

Ah. Ok. My mistake. Still, if I change the conditional to

if(done_1 || done_2 || done_3 || done_4)
break;

Then, I still have the same issue... as soon as I send that string: 500,400,300,200,1000,100,1,0... then the program basically freezes... it never sends the msg_char back to the serial port indicating which motor has finished. Do you think it has something to do with the millis() conditional check:

if(millis() - timer > 10){
Serial.println(msg_char); //send character for the next line from Firefly
}

I put this in so that if they're all at their final destination point, that it has to wait at least 10ms before sending the next command... The buffer in my application can get flooded if too much data is sent too quickly, so this is just a simple check to make sure at least a small portion of time has elapsed before sending the call back command.

Do you think it has something to do with the millis() conditional check:

Certainly easy enough to check:

if(done_1 || done_2 || done_3 || done_4)
      {
         Serial.println("One of the motors got done...");
         break;
      }

I put this in so that if they're all at their final destination point, that it has to wait at least 10ms before sending the next command... The buffer in my application can get flooded if too much data is sent too quickly, so this is just a simple check to make sure at least a small portion of time has elapsed before sending the call back command.

I don't understand the need for this. The serial buffer has been emptied, presumably, since no "Hey, I'm ready" message has been sent. Once a motor (or, more accurately all 4 motors) get to their commanded position(s), you should be able to immediately ask for another instruction. There may well be situations where only a few steps are needed, and they are accomplished quickly.

Thanks for all the quick replies! It seems like the AccelStepper library actually returns true if it's still moving and false when it's done (AccelStepper/AccelStepper.cpp at master · adafruit/AccelStepper · GitHub)... so I think I have to check weather or not the motor has returned false. But, I'm making a little progress. I now have this as the function:

if (motorRun == 1) {
timer = millis();
while(1)
{
done_1 = stepper1.run();
done_2 = stepper2.run();
done_3 = stepper3.run();
done_4 = stepper4.run();

if(!done_1 || !done_2 || !done_3 || !done_4){
if(!done_1) msg_char = "1";
else if(!done_2) msg_char = "2";
else if(!done_3) msg_char = "3";
else if(!done_4) msg_char = "4";
Serial.println(msg_char); //send character for the next line from Firefly
break;
}
}
}

This works for the most part... if I enter in the string: 5000,4000,3000,2000,1000,100,1,0, then it waits a brief period of time (simulating moving motor 4 to 1000 steps) and then prints the number 4... then 3... then 2... then 1. However, I noticed something funny. For some reason, after I enter in the string command above, and before it's reached position 4 (so some small amount of time) the serial monitor starts printing the number 1 (almost as if it's broken out of the while loop and assigned the msg_char... however, all the done variables are initialized to true and the msg_char is initialized as an empty string. So, I'm not sure why it's printing the number 1, before it prints 4, 3, 2, and then 1.

Also, the timer check was in there so it slows everything down. Let's say I send a command, then all the motors reach their final position. If this condition is true, then it will start sending the msg_char basically as fast as it can, because their is nothing in the loop function slowing it down. If I send the data too quickly, then my application will crash. So, I had tried to put a simple timer check to make sure at least 10ms had elapsed before sending the string back to my application. But, when I try adding that into the code, nothing seems to work (like before). When it isn't in there, then I get the response above. Thoughts?

Thoughts?

I chose done_n as the variable name, because the header file said run() returned true when the stepper got to the commanded position. Since that is not true, I'm having a hard time with the names.

while(1)
    {
      moving_1 = stepper1.run();
      moving_2 = stepper2.run();
      moving_3 = stepper3.run();
      moving_4 = stepper4.run();

if(!moving_1 || !moving_2 || !moving_3 || !moving_4)
      {

OK. Now I can see what is happening. The if block gets executed if any one of the motors gets to its final position.

Perhaps what needs to happen is that if any of the moving_n flags is false, motorRun needs to be set to other than 1.

Also, the timer check was in there so it slows everything down. Let's say I send a command, then all the motors reach their final position. If this condition is true, then it will start sending the msg_char basically as fast as it can, because their is nothing in the loop function slowing it down.

That while(1) loop that currently waits for one motor to get to its commanded position certainly should slow things down.

If I send the data too quickly, then my application will crash.

Sending data too quickly means faster than it can be read. Since new data is only supposed to be sent in response to a ready directive, that should not happen, regardless of whether you diddle around before sending the ready directive, or not.

Of course, you do need to not send the ready directive until you are ready. Which, to me, means that all 4 motors have reached there commanded positions, not just one.

Regarding your comment: Perhaps what needs to happen is that if any of the moving_n flags is false, motorRun needs to be set to other than 1.
Does this mean I need to check whether the boolean is true/false before telling the motor to run? I tried something like this, but it doesn't seem to work. Basically, it waits to get the first command, and when I send it the string: 500,400,300,200,1000,100,1,0, then you'd think it would wait until all the motors have finished moving (so however long it takes to move the motor 500 steps) and then it would print the command "next". However, it never prints "next". It just hangs there. Any thoughts?

if (motorRun == 1) {
while(1)
{
if(!moving_1) moving_1 = stepper1.run();
if(!moving_2) moving_2 = stepper2.run();
if(!moving_3) moving_3 = stepper3.run();
if(!moving_4) moving_4 = stepper4.run();

if(!moving_1 && !moving_2 && !moving_3 && !moving_4){

Serial.println("next"); //send character for the next line from Firefly

moving_1 = true; //reset all the moving variables
moving_2 = true;
moving_3 = true;
moving_4 = true;

break;
}
}
}

Does this mean I need to check whether the boolean is true/false before telling the motor to run?

No.

while(1)
    {

if(!moving_1 || !moving_2 || !moving_3 || !moving_4)
      {
         motorRun = -1;
         break;

What are moving_1, etc. initialized to?

All the moving variables are initialized as true. What exactly does the MotorRun variable do? You're setting it to -1, but I don't currently have a MotorRun variable in my code... so I'm not sure what it's referring to.

Sorry... my fault. I see where you were going with that (I forgot that I do have a MotorRun variable). Let me try it out and get back to you.

Ok... getting better (but still not perfect). I now have:

if (motorRun == 1) {
while(1)
{

motorRun = -1; //reset the MotorRun variable
Serial.println("next"); //send character for the next line from Firefly
break;
}
}
}

This basically starts out by printing "waiting" every 200ms (from the establishContact() function). Then, once I enter in a string via the Serial Monitor: 500,400,300,200,1000,100,1,0 then it prints the word next... which is what I would expect. The thing is... I would expect it to wait some amount of time for it to complete all the motor moves (the longest one in the string above is 500 steps) and then to print the word next. What happens now is that it prints the word 'next' immediately after I click send on the serial monitor. Then, it waits some amount of time and prints 'next' again. That waiting period is what I would expect... I'm just not sure why it's sending the first 'next' command. Also, once it returns the second print statement... it just waits there until I send another command (which is what I would expect since we set the MotorRun variable to -1). However, when I send the same string again, it prints the word 'next' again immediately after I click the send button (just like before)... but this time it never prints the second 'next' statement. It just sort of sits there. You would think it would display pretty much the same behavior, but it doesn't. It's kind of like it works once, but not again. Any suggestions? Thanks again.

Ahhh... I actually realize my mistake. I was sending the same string over and over... but the position values are in absolute units... not relative... so it was basically telling it to move to the position it was already in, which is why it was never returning the second string. If I tell it to use this string first: 500,400,300,200,1000,100,1,0 and then this string second: 0,0,0,0,1000,100,1,0... then it will basically move all the motors to one position, and then back to their original position (sending the 'next' command after each time they're all done).
So, it seems like it's working properly... all except for that pesky extra 'next' statement. For some reason it always prints a 'next' statement each time I click the send button on the Serial Monitor. It then waits some amount of time and prints the word 'next' again when the motors are done. I expect the second statement, just not the first one. Do you have any ideas as to why this would be happening?

So, I've tested everything out (now with my application sending the data to the Arduino instead of just entering in a string in the serial monitor)... and it seems to be working well. There's still an issue with it sending an extra 'next' statement every time it receives a message. I could keep a counter and only send when the counter mod 2 returns zero... but this seems like it's putting a bandaid on the initial problem. I can't seem to figure out why it's sending the extra 'next' statement. The code I'm using is:

if (motorRun == 1) {
while(1)
{
moving_1 = stepper1.run(); //tell the motors to move to their positions

Serial.println("n"); //send character for the next line from Firefly
moving_1 = true; //reset the moving flags
moving_2 = true;
moving_3 = true;
moving_4 = true;
break;
}
}
}

The moving variables are all initialized as true and they're all reset after the if statement... so it should never jump out of the while loop unless all motors are at their final position. Since it's sending two 'next' statements, I think I'm actually asking for the next string of data from my application immediately... so I don't think I'm actually losing data, it's just making the movement jerky. Do you have any thoughts?
Thanks,
Andy

The code I'm using is:

Some of the code...

It is not necessary to set moving_n flags to true, They are not checked before being set, so it doesn't matter if they get set somewhere else to Tuesday.

so it should never jump out of the while loop unless all motors are at their final position.

So, we need to look at the rest of the code. One possibility that might be causing issues would be sending the string followed by \n\r or two \n's.

Fair enough. Here's the whole code.

#include <AccelStepper.h>
#define BAUDRATE 115200 //Set the Baud Rate to an appropriate speed
#define BUFFSIZE 256 // buffer one command at a time, 12 bytes is longer than the max length
#define DIR_PIN_A 2 //Set Direction Pin for Stepper A to Digital Pin 2
#define STEP_PIN_A 3 //Set Step Pin for Stepper A to Digital Pin 3
#define DIR_PIN_B 4 //Set Direction Pin for Stepper B to Digital Pin 4
#define STEP_PIN_B 5 //Set Step Pin for Stepper B to Digital Pin 5
#define DIR_PIN_C 6 //Set Direction Pin for Stepper C to Digital Pin 6
#define STEP_PIN_C 7 //Set Step Pin for Stepper C to Digital Pin 7
#define DIR_PIN_D 8 //Set Direction Pin for Stepper D to Digital Pin 8
#define STEP_PIN_D 9 //Set Step Pin for Stepper D to Digital Pin 9

long motorPos[4] = {0,0,0,0};
int motorSpeed = 2000; //Set default speed value
int motorAcc = 1000; //Set default acceleration value
int motorRun = 1; //Set default run value
int motorReset = 0; //Set default reset value

boolean moving_1 = true;
boolean moving_2 = true;
boolean moving_3 = true;
boolean moving_4 = true;

//unsigned long timer = 0;
String msg_char = "";

char *parseptr;
char buffidx;

char buffer[BUFFSIZE]; // this is the double buffer
uint16_t bufferidx = 0; // a type of unsigned integer of length 16 bits
uint16_t p1, s1;

// Define some steppers and the pins they will use: Ex: Accelstepper stepper1(1, 3, 4) <- STEP PIN 3, DIR PIN 4.
AccelStepper stepper1(1, STEP_PIN_A, DIR_PIN_A);
AccelStepper stepper2(1, STEP_PIN_B, DIR_PIN_B);
AccelStepper stepper3(1, STEP_PIN_C, DIR_PIN_C);
AccelStepper stepper4(1, STEP_PIN_D, DIR_PIN_D);

/*==============================================================================

• SETUP() This code runs once
    ============================================================================/

void setup()
{
stepper1.setCurrentPosition(0); //Move steppers to default position
stepper2.setCurrentPosition(0);
stepper3.setCurrentPosition(0);
stepper4.setCurrentPosition(0);
setStepperSpeeds();

Serial.begin(BAUDRATE); // Start serial communication
establishContact(); // send a byte to establish contact until receiver responds
}

/*==============================================================================

• LOOP() This code loops continuously

void loop()
{
UpdateStepperValues(); //Get all the incoming values from Firefly

if (motorReset == 1) {
stepper1.setCurrentPosition(motorPos[0]);
stepper2.setCurrentPosition(motorPos[1]);
stepper3.setCurrentPosition(motorPos[2]);
stepper4.setCurrentPosition(motorPos[3]);
}

if (motorRun == 1) {
while(1)
{
moving_1 = stepper1.run(); //tell the motors to move to their positions

Serial.println("n"); //send character for the next line from Firefly
break;
}
}
}
}

• UPDATE STEPPER VALUES FUNCTION()

void UpdateStepperValues(){

char c; // holds one character from the serial port
if (Serial.available() > 0) {
c = Serial.read(); // read one character
buffer[bufferidx] = c; // add to buffer

if (c == '\n') {
buffer[bufferidx+1] = 0; // terminate it
parseptr = buffer; // offload the buffer into temp variable

//********************************************************

motorPos[0] = parsedecimal(parseptr); // parse the first number
parseptr = strchr(parseptr, ',')+1; // move past the ","

motorPos[1] = parsedecimal(parseptr); // parse the next number

motorPos[2] = parsedecimal(parseptr); // parse the next number

motorPos[3] = parsedecimal(parseptr); // parse the next number

motorSpeed = parsedecimal(parseptr); // parse the next number

motorAcc = parsedecimal(parseptr); // parse the next number

motorRun = parsedecimal(parseptr); // parse the next number

motorReset = parsedecimal(parseptr); // parse the next number

setStepperSpeeds();
stepper1.moveTo(motorPos[0]); //set new absolute target position
stepper2.moveTo(motorPos[1]); //set new absolute target position
stepper3.moveTo(motorPos[2]); //set new absolute target position
stepper4.moveTo(motorPos[3]); //set new absolute target position

bufferidx = 0; // reset the buffer for the next read
return; //return so that we don't trigger the index increment below
}
// didn't get newline, need to read more from the buffer
bufferidx++; // increment the index for the next character
if (bufferidx == BUFFSIZE-1) { //if we get to the end of the buffer reset for safety
bufferidx = 0;
}
}
}

double parsedecimal(char *str)
{
return atof(str);
}

void establishContact() {
while (Serial.available() <= 0) {
Serial.println("waiting..."); // send an initial string
delay(200);
}
}

void setStepperSpeeds() {

stepper1.setMaxSpeed(motorSpeed);
stepper1.setAcceleration(motorAcc);

stepper2.setMaxSpeed(motorSpeed);
stepper2.setAcceleration(motorAcc);

stepper3.setMaxSpeed(motorSpeed);
stepper3.setAcceleration(motorAcc);

stepper4.setMaxSpeed(motorSpeed);
stepper4.setAcceleration(motorAcc);
}

My application (written in C#) does indeed call the Console.WriteLine method... which by default adds a "\r\n" characater at the end of the line (Console.WriteLine Method (System) | Microsoft Learn). I think the Serial Monitor send function also adds these characters. My code does look for the '\n' character as the terminator and then flushes the buffer... But, I don't think this would cause it to update all the values twice would it?

while (Serial.available() <= 0) {

Serial.available() can never return a value less than 0. There is data, or there isn't. There can not be a negative amount.

What does the code on the sending end expect before it sends new data? A specific character, or any character? Is the Serial.println("n") causing it to send just one batch of data or three?

Is it sending data followed by one carriage return, or is it sending data followed by carriage return and line feed? Or something else?

Thanks for the clarification about Serial.available(). The code on the sending end is looking for the 'n' character coming over the serial port. When it receives this character it sets a flag to issue another position command and then resets the incoming buffer to null (or empty). Once the flag has been set, it basically removes the first item from the list (as that was the one that was sent last) and then formats another string getting the next position values for each of the four motors (as well as the current state of the run, speed, acceleration, and reset values). Then, assuming the port is open, it then sends the formatted string back over to the Arduino using the WriteLine(message) command. Looking at this command on the msdn website, it looks like the default behavior of this function automatically adds a '\r\n' character to the end of the line. I'm not adding it on myself... but the command automatically does it. So, then once that command is issued, the Arduino reads in the string and goes through the while loop again. It shouldn't be sending three batches of data ever... Hopefully this helps clarify it a bit.

Does your sender show you all the serial data it gets? Can you send debug information to it?

If so, it would be interesting to know when a complete record is received, relative to when the n's are sent.