Above the Gods

I want to be a Franklin member, after the open source hero who made his lightning rod free to the public:

"As we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours; and this we should do freely and generously."
-Ben Franklin (from the Autobiography)

I want to be known as either a William Kemmler Member or possibly Alfred P. Southwick.

William Kemmler? Alfred Southwick?

William Kemmler was the first person ever executed by electrocution.. Alfred Southwick (a dentist) invented the Electric Chair that was used..

I figure given my skill level and commitment to safety should combine to produce a similar outcome, eventually..

liudr:
After all we do what we enjoy, not necessarily making boat load of money or electrocuting cows so Tesla is a higher standard than Edison :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Not just cows.

FYI: The animal was going to be put down anyway because it trampled 3 (I think) people so Edison volunteered to do it to show electricity can kill.

focalist, if you overcome Ohm's law as you said, you're likely in some danger. I used to teach physics 2 in college and we had this lab to study Ohm's law on light bulb filaments. Only at high temperatures does Ohm's law break down. Resistance goes up for Tungston and down for carbon so to bread Ohm's law you need some sort of danger. :grin:

liudr:
bread Ohm's law

mmm, sounds tasty

[quote author=Coding Badly link=topic=50102.msg357401#msg357401 date=1296167462]
The "God" level should be replaced with "Watson" (as in Thomas A. Watson).[/quote]I second that. "God" is a little misplaced, context-wise, in the list.

Oops. I just had my breakfast. BTW, I'm working hard to become an Edison in a few months.

mowcius:

liudr:
bread Ohm's law

mmm, sounds tasty

I am glad to see Tesla ranks higher than Edison. After all we do what we enjoy, not necessarily making boat load of money or electrocuting cows so Tesla is a higher standard than Edison

Some theoretical physicists have been left out of the ranks. They are very curious kinds too

As an old Tesla fan I thought that was pretty cool too!
As for curious theoretical physicists I vote for Feynman :slight_smile:

…who was himself quite the hacker (and lock-picker).

Personally, I’d aspire to being a Muybridge or a Chaplin or a Dali.

so Edison volunteered to do it to show electricity can kill.

No, Edison volunteered to show that Westinghouse's AC (as opposed to Edison's perfectly-safe-but-it'll-electrolyse-your-body-fluids DC) could kill.

I don't want to be associated with Edison as a patent-clerk-bribing charlatan, so if someone will either change the ratings, or delete my account, I'd be ever-so grateful.

(did someone seriously not know who Claude Shannon was?)

Feynman was beyond whatever gods could remotely aspire to be.

Personally, I’d aspire to being a Muybridge

So, you want to get off a murder rap?

Why couldn't they have been silly? :frowning: Things have very sudenly become a bit, grown up for Arduino.. It's becomes serious :cry:

You shouldn't be allowed to go past Shannon-level unless you know the difference between Shannon's Law and Nyquist's Theorem.

Only at high temperatures does Ohm's law break down.

I would disagree with that. What you showed is that at high temperatures the resistance of the filament changes, Ohm's law still applies. Ohm's law only applies to linear materials, there are materials where the resistance is dependent on the voltage applied, like diodes or veresistors.

Einstein? No Einstein? What kind of board is this...

Glad to see Tesla made it. I always thought "God Member" was stupid.

After 10000 post, it should say "I miss my family."

Or things like

0 Posts: What's an arduino?
50 Posts: Where does this wire go?
100 Posts: IT BLINKS!!
500 Posts: Which end of the iron is hot?
1000 Posts: I love the smell of solder in the morning
2000 Posts: My house has more components in it than ... umm.. something

Valalvax:
Or things like

0 Posts: What's an arduino?
50 Posts: Where does this wire go?
100 Posts: IT BLINKS!!
500 Posts: Which end of the iron is hot?
1000 Posts: I love the smell of solder in the morning
2000 Posts: My house has more components in it than ... umm.. something

there speaks a man who knows

Wasn't Edison a bit of an ideas stealer more than pure inventor himself ?

Wasn't Edison a bit of an ideas stealer more than pure inventor himself ?

More then likely a little of both.

Lefty

retrolefty:

I must say that great as those people were I wonder if they are above the Gods?

Only among the geeks of the world. And I don't think they come with personal lightning bolts.

Tesla did.