Small-batch (500-100) manufacturing of PCB & Design

Hey there,

I have used Arduino to create a design, I've created a custom PCB, and I now have a working prototype that I am happy with.

Ideally, I would like to get a production run of about 500 of these devices, but I would love to hear some recommendations from people.

Do any of you have any positive (and negative...) experiences with manufacturers?

Is it worth getting them to do another prototype, just to make sure I get what I want before they crank out 500 of them?

Does anyone know of any manufacturers who also do additional assembly? I would love for them to assemble the PCB into a casing, insert a piece of paper with instructions, and put it all in a cardboard box ready for shipping, but so far, the manufacturers I've found only deal with the PCB itself, not with further assembly.

Ideas?

Much obliged,

• Sharq.

We do all of the above. We also provide design assistance/review, cost reduction suggestions, suggestions for redesign for manufacturability, etc. prior to manufacturing. Contact us at support@ruggedcircuits.com.

--
The Ruggeduino: compatible with Arduino UNO, 24V operation, all I/O's fused and protected

maybe it is backward. you may need to pick a box and design your circuit to fit in this box. just my two cents. some standard boxes are probably cheaper than custom injection molding cases you build around your prototype.

Is it worth getting them to do another prototype, just to make sure I get what I want before they crank out 500 of them?

Probably, 500 is a lot to waste or rework.

It depends on how good your existing prototype board is, if you just made 1 or 2 simple changes I'd go the full monty. Any more and I'd get another prototype, especially if you are going to use a different fab house.

Rob