can i solder a linear V regulator flat.

hey fellas, well i was trying to get my hands on this sm 5v regulator but it seems to not be available , and i want the 5v not its little 3v brother
http://www.newark.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?SKU=42K0602&CMP=AFC-GB100000001

and all i have right now in my hands are some linear's i need to reduce the 'Height' of my circuit for certain reasons related to the enclosure
can i just take the linear regulator and drop it and solder it laying down?

Are you referring to something in a package like this? http://www.newark.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?SKU=86K1590
If so, linear doesn't refer to the package but the type of regulator (How it works internally and how precise it regulates)

The answer is yes. The big pad on the back is typically connected to ground so be wary of shorts. It can actually benefit you to lay it down flat and wire the ground to the big pad as it will sink heat through the ground plane.

Nice! thats what i was thinking but just wanted to make sure

Check the pinouts! The tab is not always ground. The 5V regulator on the UNO, MC33269D-5.0, has a tab that is 5V - the cooling pad around the part is isolated from the ground plane around it.
You may need an installation kit that provides a mica insulator and insulators for the mounting screws (TO-220 package) and thermal grease to ensure good heat conduction.

CrossRoads:
Check the pinouts! The tab is not always ground. The 5V regulator on the UNO, MC33269D-5.0, has a tab that is 5V - the cooling pad around the part is isolated from the ground plane around it.
You may need an installation kit that provides a mica insulator and insulators for the mounting screws (TO-220 package) and thermal grease to ensure good heat conduction.

Good call. I have never used one myself that isn't ground but that does not rule out the possibility. Maybe it's a euro thing. :slight_smile:

@CrossRoads yeah thats exactly what i was looking at, the Unos regulator and i did notice the additional pad it had underneath

@KE7GKP ah thanks for the info! im going to pick up a couple of those at mouser.

another question, you know those capacitors on the Uno with the silver casing and rather short stubby looking, what are those type of capacitors called? I like them

OH yes those! thanks

Look for this kind of part at digkey

Capacitor, 100uF, Aluminum, Radial Can-SMD, 6.3mm,25V EEE-1EA101XP digikey P/N PCE3898CT-ND

HighSeraphim:
Good call. I have never used one myself that isn't ground but that does not rule out the possibility. Maybe it's a euro thing. :slight_smile:

No its a chip-design thing - the metal tab is normally bonded to the substrate of the IC. It depends on the process whether this is the most negative or most positive part of the circuit. For bipolar transistors it is usually the collector, and for power MOSFETs it is always the drain.