[SOLVED} avrdude: invalid byte value ({bootloader.unlock_bits}) specified for...

Hi all, need a little help and Google is not helping much.

I have purchased a USBASP v2.0 for ISP programming attiny & atmegas. Its working fine on an attiny85, I can upload the blink sketch and it runs. So far so good.

At the moment the tiny is running at 1MHz but I want to set the fuses for 8MHz. So I select "ATtiny85(internal 8MHz clock)" as board and "USBasp" as programmer and click "Burn Bootloader" but I get:

avrdude: invalid byte value ({bootloader.unlock_bits}) specified for immediate mode
avrdude: read from file '{bootloader.unlock_bits}' failed
Error while burning bootloader.

Any ideas where I get this missing file, and where it should go?

I am using IDE 1.6.5 on Ubuntu 14.04

Thanks very much in advance for any help/suggestions.

I have attached my boards.txt.

Paul

boards.txt (4.04 KB)

(deleted)

Try updated boards.txt with lock/unlock bits, here's one: http://highlowtech.org/?p=1695

You need to include lock and unlock bits, even if not changing them. There are a few other things you need to change going from 1.0.x to 1.6.x

I'd recommend using a core that someone else has already put together for 1.6.x - there are a bunch.

Take a look at my tiny core (github repo second link in sig) - it supports almost every tiny (and most of the others are supported by my other core)

dmjlambert:
Try updated boards.txt with lock/unlock bits, here's one: High-Low Tech – Programming an ATtiny w/ Arduino 1.6 (or 1.0)

Thanks, the instructions on that link worked great.

To summarise for anyone finding this thread later, I added
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/damellis/attiny/ide-1.6.x-boards-manager/package_damellis_attiny_index.json to "additional board manager URLs" in File-->Preferences, then opened the board manager (under Tools-->Board) and installed the attiny option.

Because I am using Ubuntu, I also previously created the file /etc/udev/rules.d/99-USBasp.rules and put the following in it: SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="16c0", ATTRS{idProduct}=="05dc", GROUP="dialout", MODE="0666"

Thanks again to everybody who replied.