i would like to know how to display arduino data on excel

i am having a problem using the PLX-DAQ to display the infomation on the serial monitor to the excel spread sheet

What you are trying to do is far from clear, but check the Interfacing w/Software section, and the stuff by NetDevil, wherein all will be revealed. You are probably using the original PLX with a version of Excel later than 2003.

The easiest way to get data from the serial monitor into excel is to print the data in the first place in a CSV style format. Then you just copy the text from the serial monitor, paste into your favorite text editor, save with the .csv extension, and go open up in excel.

Utter nonsense. Even though it is not too clear, the OP is trying to use PLX q.v., and is having problems with it that are probably easily fixed. He is just looking in the wrong place.

I wouldn't call it nonsense. Maybe not the answer he is looking for, but it works great for me. No errors. It's quick. It's easy. Nothing to configure.

With all those gold stars you have, I don't suppose there is any point in asking why you don't use a proper terminal programme to do all that stuff anyway, and it clearly isn't time for you to get on the PLX bike, even though the configuration, such as it is, is unlikely to be taxing. Besides, your time might be first better spent speculating on why OP posted in the display forum.

JeanChristophe:
i am having a problem using the PLX-DAQ to display the infomation on the serial monitor to the excel spread sheet

We really need more information.

You must realize the serial monitor cannot be running when PLX-DAQ is receiving data.

thank for reply Nick_Pyner. i would like to display the value obtain of a dht 22 on excel. how should i proceed?? thank for replying.

I know nothing about dht22. The first thing you need to do is get the readings on a serial monitor, to ensure that you know what you are doing.

In the unlikely event that you use Excel 2003 or earlier, you may find useful notes at
http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~npyner/Arduino/GUIDE_2PLX.pdf
If you use Excel later than 2003 then check PLX-version2 at
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=437398.0
as advised above. You may still find my notes useful as they emphasise live graph display.

After installing the PLX macro, essentially all you do is

1. format the output as CSV, as you do for any recording method
  2. Serial print in the normal manner. Nothing to configure.

But, as Larry points out, Excel is running, not the serial monitor.

You may also timestamp your data uing the PC clock. This requires serial.printing an Excel command, i.e.

Serial.print("DATA,TIME,");

followed by the rest ot the data in the normal manner. Note that the relevant separation comma is included in the Excel command.

You can get pretty fancy with this, and even have two-way traffic, but the above is all I use.

Note that, if you have grief, and you can get by without the immediacy and live graph that PLX offers, all is not lost. You can send the Data to a proper terminal programme, which can record as CSV for subsequent use in Excel. You may even time stamp the data therein, as this is not a feature exclusive to PLX. I use RealTerm, there is a swag of others, all free.

The last thing you want to do is mess about with the serial monitor, which is not really intended for this purpose.

@Nick.

Why so aggressive with me today? You alright?

I just threw out an option if PLX-DAQ wasn't working. I don't think it warrants a row between us. Yeah, I personally don't use the Arduino IDE nor it's limited serial monitor in my own work. But around here I try to keep it on those terms just because of what forum we are on. But I really don't think there's any reason to get aggressive about it.

I'll stay off this thread and let you have it. PM me if there's some problem I'm not aware of. Not sure what I did to piss you off.

thank for your quick reply nick pyner. useful information

OK. If you use NetDevil's PLX v2, it would be a good idea to report the outcome on that thread. I believe most of the activity there has been amongst the cognoscenti, and its use by a newbie will be a good test!