Go Down

Topic: Difference in DigitalWrite Measurements (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

jmol

I am working a project requires precision control of a square wave. As part of the project I am
characterizing the execution time of the digitalWrite command. To start with I implemented the following code in the loop and measured the pulse widths with an oscilloscope.

digitalWrite (52,HIGH);
digitalWrite (52,LOW);

The resulting measurements were   W+: 3.898 microseconds
                                                    W-: 4.045 microseconds

I figured pulse widths are the same with about 0.147 microseconds to execute the loop. Now when I reverse the calls and start with the low portion of the wave the pulse widths change.

digitalWrite (52,LOW);
digitalWrite (52,HIGH);

The resulting measurements were   W+: 4.161 microseconds
                                                    W-: 3.780 microseconds

Assuming the widths are the same the loop takes 0.381 microseconds to execute.

I am trying to figure out why the order of HIGH-LOW or LOW-HIGH is making such a significant difference in the time it takes to execute the code

AWOL

Why don't you simply examine the generated code?
"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.
I speak for myself, not Arduino.

jremington

Oct 04, 2017, 11:26 pm Last Edit: Oct 04, 2017, 11:28 pm by jremington
If you want full control over the process and much faster execution, use direct port manipulation rather than calls to Arduino routines. The C/C++ code often translates as one line to one machine code instruction.

https://www.arduino.cc/en/Reference/PortManipulation

jmol

Direct port manipulation is the path I will go down in the future. Just trying to figure out (for my own knowledge) why the order of  toggling (HIGH-LOW or LOW-HIGH) effects the execution time of the digitalWrite function calls.

Delta_G

Show the whole code you used to test it?  I bet you're measuring more than you think you are. 
If at first you don't succeed, up - home - sudo - enter.

MarkT

Direct port manipulation is the path I will go down in the future. Just trying to figure out (for my own knowledge) why the order of  toggling (HIGH-LOW or LOW-HIGH) effects the execution time of the digitalWrite function calls.
That's a question you can ask the compiler.  Ask it by looking at the generated assembler code.  Many factors affect
the precise details of generated code, such as what optimize options have been selected when running
the compiler, and what other variables are competing for use of machine registers, and what machine
instructions are available.
[ I will NOT respond to personal messages, I WILL delete them, use the forum please ]

Go Up