can't connect to UNO

Hi there,
i am new to arduino and just received my UNO ... i connected it under mac osx 10.5.8 and wanted to upload the first Blink-sketch.
Everytime i try, after compiling it tells me:

avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

any idea how to fix?
the default blinking of L-Led is also kinda unsteady (4xlong, 1xshort) ...

thank you for advice,
cheers! mploj

sounds like the exact issue Im having as well as many others and so far I have not seen a solution. Im going to try my uno on a windows 7 machine to see if it works there and I will inform you on the results. can you print your verbose output? (press and hold shift as you upload)

This is normal for a new Uno (with a preloaded sketch).

Haha I was waiting for someone to take a look at this and think it was broken :wink:

Yeah it's totally normal.

Have you tried a different computer?

Mowcius

the default blinking of L-Led is also kinda unsteady (4xlong, 1xshort)

http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1286179398/3

mploj - have you selected the correct board and serial port from the tools menu?

think i did everything right ... setup uno as usb modem in network preferences, chose the right board and serial port in the tools dilogue ...

i will try it with a windows pc tomorrow even though want to use it with my mac ... see what happens then. i don't think that the board is damaged since i read similar posts in the forums.

thank you so far, cheers

Hi,
this is what i get when printing the verbose output:

-C/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf -v -v -v -v -patmega328p -cstk500v1 -P/dev/tty.usbmodem411 -b115200 -D -Uflash:w:/tmp/build41791.tmp/AnalogReadSerial.cpp.hex:i

avrdude: Version 5.4-arduino, compiled on Oct 9 2007 at 11:20:31
Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/

System wide configuration file is "/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/tools/avr/etc/avrdude.conf"
User configuration file is "/Users/michaelploj/.avrduderc"
User configuration file does not exist or is not a regular file, skipping

Using Port : /dev/tty.usbmodem411
Using Programmer : stk500v1
Overriding Baud Rate : 115200
avrdude: Send: 0 [30] [20]
avrdude: ser_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: Send: Q [51] [20]
avrdude: ser_recv(): programmer is not responding

still not working ...

setup uno as usb modem in network preferences

I have the UNO set up as "not configured" and I have no problem with it.

Are you going through a USB hub? Apparently that was causing problems for some people. Do the LEDs on the Uno do anything when you press upload? Have you used other Arduino boards with the computer?

Hello,
no USB hub - and as i said, it is my very first Arduino ... the LED are not blinking when i try to upload sketches.

thnx,
mploj

Had the chance to connect it to a windows pc ... works fine, so it seems to be a bug software/system side, will wait for the next arduino update and see what happens ...

thank you so far

Try downloading one of the earlier versions of the Arduino they are all still available on the site.