Powering Arduino DUE with a cellphone charger

Hi everyone
I have to power my board but I cannot carry the laptop, so I question me if I could use a Samsung charger like this (attached)
With the mircrousb b connector,
Specifications:
Output: dc 5V +/- 0.5V
1000mA +/- 50mA
S/N for V8

From the product page:

External (non-USB) power can come either from an AC-to-DC adapter (wall-wart) or battery. The adapter can be connected by plugging a 2.1mm center-positive plug into the board's power jack. Leads from a battery can be inserted in the Gnd and Vin pin headers of the POWER connector.

The board can operate on an external supply of 6 to 20 volts. If supplied with less than 7V, however, the 5V pin may supply less than five volts and the board may be unstable. If using more than 12V, the voltage regulator may overheat and damage the board. The recommended range is 7 to 12 volts

However, a cell phone charger provides USB power, so you should be able to use it to power the Due through the USB power instead of a laptop. There is one gotcha, some USB 5v chargers evidently shutdown if there isn't enough current. I saw suggestions on the Adafruit forums, that you should have something that every so often uses a little voltage to prevent the charger from turning off the juice.

Hi DiegoAlejo,

The shown supply will be marginal due to its voltages specs (5V +/- 0.5V).

The DUE's on-board voltage regulator for 3.3VDC has a specified maximum drop-out voltage of 1.2V. However this is over the entire temperature range and when delivering 0.8A of current.

3.3Vdc(DUE) + 1.2(Vreg drop-out) = 4.5 (the lower end of your supply).

In reality, it should work fine. Just don't run the DUE in a freezer.

-Chris

Thanks to everybody , the source works perfectlly with low power circuits, for a bigger demand, doesn't works or works weak, too many thanks for your help! :smiley: