the wife caught me doing standard stuff

and now after 6 years of living together its "dangerous"

never mind I have made power supplies that could kill a man in less than a second, chemical reactions that could kill a man from its fumes, burned up components, and messed with our house wiring (my dad is an electrician) but tonight because she saw me doing whats normal .. doing what I do 10 hours a day at work, whacking an iron against the table all of a sudden its dangerous and a effin argument

like tapping your tip against a hard surface to slpat out excess solder on your tip ever caused a house fire ... coming from the same person that was saving check stubs on top of a 14$ Chinese space heater before I bitched and who looses her debit card to my effin account on a weekly basis

sigh ... love is an asshole, she can put us in a serious cluster .... but I splat solder against a half inch of particle board with an expoy coating and all hell breaks loose

"well you could burn yourself" well frankly your more likley to burn yourself making those eggs every morning(not for me I hate eggs) but I don't start a damn argument over it

Are we going to have to pass around the hat and get you something from here...
http://www.google.com/products?q=solder+tip+cleaner&hl=en

(my dad is an electrician)

Well known effect, DNA transmission of knowledge like that.
:slight_smile:

I use a damp sponge to wipe my iron bit, and then get shouted at when it leaves tiny solder balls in the bathroom basin, apparently she thinks here fillings are comming out.

She gives me £50 and says get me something for valentines day to make me look sexy so I get a couple of six packs!

@ CB

oh I have all of that but sometimes its just easier to tap

brass sponge, tip cleaner ... crap man I have used the same tip, soldering nearly every single day for 3 years and it look like factory

but tap tap

OMFG, I dont know if I am comfortable with you doing that, your going to ignite that half inch worth of compressed glue, and burn yourself so bad you cant use your hands anymore what will we ever do ... its not like you just soldered a effin 603 sized SMD resistor to your finger yesterday and all I got was a good laugh from the coworkers and a shrug from the wife

She gives me £50 and says get me something for valentines day to make me look sexy so I get a couple of six packs!

that's wrong, 50 for 2 six packs, cripes man!

Grumpy_Mike:

(my dad is an electrician)

Well known effect, DNA transmission of knowledge like that.
:slight_smile:

I use a damp sponge to wipe my iron bit, and then get shouted at when it leaves tiny solder balls in the bathroom basin, apparently she thinks here fillings are comming out.

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

GM, you do have a sense of humor, six packs indeed, who here would have guessed that? Now we just have to get PaulS to let his hair down and give us a few chuckles, but I'm not holding my breath. :wink:

Lefty's three rules on soldering safety, learned after years of experience. Note that obeying these three laws doesn't mean you will be good at soldering stuff, rather just less likely to accumulate permanent scars over time.

1. Don't solder while wearing just shorts or underwear. The initial burn from solder splats is not so bad, but your muscle reaction is bound to make stuff fly all over the place and damage and burn stuff.

2. If you knock the soldering iron off the table by mistake, even if you, like me, have Jedi like reflexes, resist the urge to catch the iron in mid-fall as you will always grab the hot end of the iron, it's like a law of nature.

3. Solder with eye protection on if you value your eyesight. This was a rule I always knew, but rarely had time to bother with looking for safety glasses, etc. However mother nature solved that for me as now I can't see anything in front me for the first four feet or so without my 'reading glasses', so minimum eye protection comes automatically for me.

Be safe ya all.

Lefty

Osgeld:
... who loses her debit card to my ... account on a weekly basis ...

My credit card was stolen, but I haven't reported it because the thief spends less than my wife.

retrolefty:
even if you, like me, have Jedi like reflexes, resist the urge to catch the iron in mid-fall as you will always grab the hot end of the iron, it's like a law of nature.

What happens if it's attached to a piece of buttered toast, or a cat? (Or both?)

Osgeld:

Grumpy_Mike:

that's wrong, 50 for 2 six packs, cripes man!

Well, we might assume that Grumpy_Mike has some taste in beer. And of course, over there, they do have some that's quite good, so perhaps £50 is what it takes. Or Grumpy_Mike just keeps the excess, and uses it to buy electronics. :wink:

Well, we might assume that Grumpy_Mike has some taste in beer.

I am rather fond of the quality stuff. On my trip to NY last year I came across Pumpkin Pie beer from the Chelsey Brewery which I was very fond of.

Well Sam Smith's is not bad but it is one of the cheaper beers, I wouldn't get a couple of 6 packs for £50 of this one though:-

price

This one is also rather special:-

as is this:-
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/heather-ales-alba/5123/
and this:-

resist the urge to catch the iron in mid-fall

Yes I know about that the hard way as I did that in my teens. :open_mouth:

Grumpy_Mike:
Well Sam Smith's is not bad but it is one of the cheaper beers

Not bad, eh. Well, things over here have changed some since I was first exposed to it -- that was 30 years ago, when I was throwing darts almost every night down at the pub. The US microbrew industry was in its infancy, and Sam Smith's was the best thing I'd ever tasted. And of course it's still miles ahead of the std. US drivel. Should I ever find myself across the pond, I'm sure that I'll be astounded by the ale available. Of course, these days, there's some very good stuff being made over here as well. Still, if want to treat myself, I'm usually looking for something English, German, or Belgian.

Well, things over here have changed some since I was first exposed to it -- that was 30 years ago

Well yes things have moved on here in the last 30 years. Mainly in the rise of micro breweries. There are many and various wonderful ales available now. If you think Sam Smiths is good then come over here and I will take you on a tour you will never remember. :slight_smile:

retrolefty:
Now we just have to get PaulS to let his hair down and give us a few chuckles, but I'm not holding my breath. :wink:

Won't happen this week...

Osgeld:
and now after 6 years of living together its "dangerous"

never mind I have made power supplies that could kill a man in less than a second, chemical reactions that could kill a man from its fumes, burned up components, and messed with our house wiring (my dad is an electrician) but tonight because she saw me doing whats normal .. doing what I do 10 hours a day at work, whacking an iron against the table all of a sudden its dangerous and a effin argument

Something life has taught me is that likely, the argument has nothing to do with this, but rather something else. Figuring out -what- that something else is, though, can be very difficult.

:smiley:

My wife, though, has seen me doing far more dangerous things - like being up to my shoulder in a tank full of gas to pull out a part that had come loose off the pump (then again, I've seen her do things in the kitchen I wouldn't even think about - candy making comes to mind - that can be like working with napalm should things go wrong - but even she has said she won't try making "honeycomb", and I don't blame her, though we both love the stuff).

Arguments over it, though?

it wasnt a big knock down drag out call the cops, just more like a couple snippy sentences and now I am not going to talk to you for the rest of the night and half of tomorrow

Grumpy_Mike:
If you think Sam Smiths is good then come over here and I will take you on a tour you will never remember. :slight_smile:

Heh. Well, I would enjoy that immensely. The only problem would be to somehow figure out how to cram all the things to see into time available. Well, that and prying me away from the breweries to go to the distilleries, and vice versa. Sadly, it isn't likely I'll ever get over there. I wish I had gone before 9/11.

1. If you knock the soldering iron off the table by mistake, even if you, like me, have Jedi like reflexes, resist the urge to catch the iron in mid-fall as you will always grab the hot end of the iron, it's like a law of nature.

yep! I was up a ladder in the barn, crappy mains powered iron on a BRIGHT ORANGE extension cord,
so a whole bunch of those wonderful, charming birds I care for, jumped on the cord.
So, all instinct, reflex's and no freakin thought, I went catch it.

You guys know that slippery feeling as the iron slide through your fingers?

Couldn't use my paw for a fortnight...

You guys know that slippery feeling as the iron slide through your fingers?

Your lucky, sometimes the iron decides to just stick to fingers and needs active effort to remove, and not even Jedi mind tricks will prevent the pain that follows such folly.

The thing is you grab the iron and then there is what seems like an age when you know what you have done, you know it is going to hurt, but the pain hasn't kicked in yet and there is nothing you can do about it.
No slipping a clean catch right across the palm. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

You only do it once.

I have been in a similar situation several times since and even started to grab a falling iron but my instincts always manage to kick in before I catch it.

Only reason I grabbed it, I was worried about a poor little turkey copping a soldering iron.
Afterwards I wanted to hold one down and stab it with the iron!

Ahh, these wonderful, charming birdys have given me purpose!

And life on the farm!

Every meal is a banquet,
Every paycheck a fortune,

I just love being on the farm...

:fearful: