Arduino - Wifi - iPhone

hello,
I'm going to buy an Arduino 2560. (i'll make it short)
I have to control the arduino with the iphone. so i would need a wifi module. to control leds and other stuff.
what is a good wifi module to connect the arduino to an iphone witch doesn't cost a lot?
let me know.. thank u

Why WiFi, rather than Ethernet? Wireless is not nearly as trouble-free or cheap.

Perhaps because you cannot connect an iPhone to an Ethernet cable, unless ther is some form of an adapter that I am not aware of.

I agree with Pauls, however, that using a WiFi shield is not nearly as trouble free as an Ethenet shield.
However there is a solution that is almost as trouble free alas at a little added expense.
You can connect a little pocket router Tp- Link WR703n etc, to the Ethenet shield and voila, you're in WiFi business.

Perhaps because you cannot connect an iPhone to an Ethernet cable, unless ther is some form of an adapter that I am not aware of.

It doesn't matter how the iPhone communicates with the router. What matters is how the Arduino communicates with the router.

You can connect a little pocket router Tp- Link WR703n etc, to the Ethenet shield and voila, you're in WiFi business.

Links and details?

thank you for replying.
I think I will use an ethernet shield. 1st because it cost much less and because i saw some tutorials on how to connect it.
even if the wireless connection was a nice thing..

so i can use a normal router to connect them together after?

so i can use a normal router to connect them together after?

Unless you have an abnormal one hanging around, and you like being frustrated.

You can connect a little pocket router Tp-Link WR703n etc, to the Ethenet shield and voila, you're in WiFi business.

You could save Ethenet shield, all you need is one usb cable connect between openwrt router and Arduino.

Tp-Link market WR703n as portable, hot plugable wireless router. (hot plugable here means once you plug in China telecom 3G usb stick, it
turn to wifi hotspot). but Tp-Link market it only at China.

Pro.

1. dirty cheap (~20 USD)
  2. good web admin interface.
  3. allow setup 3G, even 4G (LTE/Wimax) shield for Arduino.

Con.

1. no FCC id ( not use at US?)
  2. only has 4 MB flash, 32 MB RAM
  3. only has one USB port.
  4. preload Tp-Link router OS is in Chinese, you need buy preflashed openwrt version ( Ebay).

p.s. if you have one of last 2 version iphone (4s or 5). The bluetooth V4.0 is way to go especially if Arduino powered by battery.

4G (LTE/Wimax)'s support is in working....

sonnyyu:

You can connect a little pocket router Tp-Link WR703n etc, to the Ethenet shield and voila, you're in WiFi business.

You could save Ethenet shield, all you need is one usb cable connect between openwrt router and Arduino.

Tp-Link market WR703n as portable, hot plugable wireless router. (hot plugable here means once you plug in China telecom 3G usb stick, it
turn to wifi hotspot). but Tp-Link market it only at China.

Pro.

1. dirty cheap (~20 USD)
  2. good web admin interface.
  3. allow setup 3G, even 4G (LTE/Wimax) shield for Arduino.

Con.

1. no FCC id ( not use at US?)
  2. only has 4 MB flash, 32 MB RAM
  3. only has one USB port.
  4. preload Tp-Link router OS is in Chinese, you need buy preflashed openwrt version ( Ebay).

Arduino Forum

p.s. if you have one of last 2 version iphone (4s or 5). The bluetooth V4.0 is way to go especially if Arduino powered by battery.

I would use the router "digicom michelangelo wave" .
what bluetooth module could i use with the iphone? (no way using an usb bluetooth for the pc on arduino?, i mean using the usb bluetooth on the arduino and communicate with an iphone)?

As long it flashed openwrt and has USB port, You are ready to go.

what bluetooth module could i use with the iphone? (no way using an usb bluetooth for the pc on arduino?, i mean using the usb bluetooth on the arduino and communicate with an iphone)?

two prerequisite;-

1. Arduino support USB host. USBHost is Compatible with Arduino Due only.
  2. Software driver for usb bluetooth use in Auduino (missing here).

No go here, need buy bluetooth V4.0 shield. (Google it you will find few.)

sonnyyu:

As long it flashed openwrt and has USB port, You are ready to go.

two prerequisite;-

1. Arduino support USB host. USBHost is Compatible with Arduino Due only.
  2. Software driver for usb bluetooth use in Auduino (missing here).

USBHost - Arduino Reference

No go here, need buy bluetooth V4.0 shield. (Google it you will find few.)

in this tutorial it doesn't talk about openwrt
http://samratamin.com/Ardumote_Tutorial.html
is it mecessary?

for now i have iphone 4, so lets leave the bluetooth away.

http://blog.nemik.net/2011/12/arduino-openwrt-art/

http://www.thebmwz3.co.uk/article.php?story=20120611144749730

sonnyyu:
Arduino + OpenWRT = Art

https://openwrt.org/

http://www.thebmwz3.co.uk/article.php?story=20120611144749730

Arduino gone wireless: TP-LINK TL-WR703N | Marco Altomonte

thank you for the documentation.
but can I use the ethernet shield like this one is using?

thank all of you for replying. I appreciate

Yes, you could just connect ethernet cable from ethernet shield to router.

router can be any type, no need to load openwrt.

sonnyyu:

Yes, you could just connect ethernet cable from ethernet shield to router.

router can be any type, no need to load openwrt.

ok thanks again.. i will write back for other problems..

Just to summarize a few things

1. Using a little ( half the footprint of an iPhone 4 and about twice as thick) TP-Link router will enable you to connect directly with the iPhone to the router/Arduino because that little router comes configured as an Access Point out of the box. You plug it in, it shows up in the WiFi connections in your iPhone and you're in business.

2. The TP-link TL WR703N is available through eBay ($20+) and I've had no one preventing me using it in my projects due to a missing FTZ certification YMMV. The user interface is in Chinese. Google translate helped me.

3. If you have a home router you can have the TP-Link also connect to your home router and access the Arduino wirelessly through your iPhone<-->home router <-->Tp-Link<-->Ethernet <-->Arduino. That is an interesting setup if your project is located somewhere inaccessible for a cabled Ethernet connection. I use this set-up in my projects ( trippylighting.com).

4. You can also omit the Ethernet card and connect the TP-Link WR703N through its USB port directly to the Arduino, but it requires you to flash an OpenWRT Linux based router software on it to begin with. I have no handson experimece with this, but I believe that this will not work with Ardumote as Ardumote usesthe UDP protocol for communication and I am not aware of an Arduino library that supports UDP over USB. If that ever interests you, it is not required to purchase a preflashed one of eBay, unless The fine folks at the OpenWRT website are untruthful :wink:

5. The fact that Ardumote ( and TouchOSC, which I am using in my projects) work through the UDP protocol is also the reason why I would be careful with using a Bluetooth module. Getting that to work will almost always require you to socket programming and worse :wink:

6 Using Ardumote with the Ethernet shield directly or through the TP-Link Wr703n has worked flawlessly in my projects but I have since migrated to TouchOSC.

Headroom:
Just to summarize a few things

1. Using a little ( half the footprint of an iPhone 4 and about twice as thick) TP-Link router will enable you to connect directly with the iPhone to the router/Arduino because that little router comes configured as an Access Point out of the box. You plug it in, it shows up in the WiFi connections in your iPhone and you're in business.

2. The TP-link TL WR703N is available through eBay ($20+) and I've had no one preventing me using it in my projects due to a missing FTZ certification YMMV. The user interface is in Chinese. Google translate helped me.

3. If you have a home router you can have the TP-Link also connect to your home router and access the Arduino wirelessly through your iPhone<-->home router <-->Tp-Link<-->Ethernet <-->Arduino. That is an interesting setup if your project is located somewhere inaccessible for a cabled Ethernet connection. I use this set-up in my projects ( trippylighting.com).

4. You can also omit the Ethernet card and connect the TP-Link WR703N through its USB port directly to the Arduino, but it requires you to flash an OpenWRT Linux based router software on it to begin with. I have no handson experimece with this, but I believe that this will not work with Ardumote as Ardumote usesthe UDP protocol for communication and I am not aware of an Arduino library that supports UDP over USB. If that ever interests you, it is not required to purchase a preflashed one of eBay, unless The fine folks at the OpenWRT website are untruthful :wink:

5. The fact that Ardumote ( and TouchOSC, which I am using in my projects) work through the UDP protocol is also the reason why I would be careful with using a Bluetooth module. Getting that to work will almost always require you to socket programming and worse :wink:

6 Using Ardumote with the Ethernet shield directly or through the TP-Link Wr703n has worked flawlessly in my projects but I have since migrated to TouchOSC.

wow thank u, really clear.
what are the differences between TouchOSC and Ardumote? I saw on the app store they have a similiar price.